When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How much would you pay for a REP

deniz21

Lani hit the nail right on the head; it's all a labor of love.

The enjoyment factor and fun comes first and foremost for me in this hobby, and the cost factor comes in second. It's great fun chasing down parts and putting them together to see a finished project come to life. The process of building a creation is also a little therapeutic for me as I find that it's a great stress reliever to sit at the 'bench' late at night, when all is quiet and I can get lost in my own little world working on my watch.

Personally, I would have a difficult time buying an already completed franken project mostly because all the fun stuff has already been done. However, I don't have any issues with justifying the cost of buying the parts to build my own. Can it get pricey? You bet. However, it's also very rewarding to look down at my wrist to see a watch that I had a hand in putting together.

For fun, here's a small breakdown on a few of my projects currently in the watch box:

16520 Daytona-

Case $1,200

Dial $800

El Primero 400 $850

Hands $200

Crown/tube $60

Bezel $500

Bracelet $750

IMG_8495.jpg

9411 Tudor Sub-

Case $250

ETA 2783 $75

Dial $550

Hands $250

T-125 $100

Insert $150

Crown/tube $60

Case work $100

78360 links/93150 clasp/580 end links $450

IMG_9193.jpg

Omega 2201.50 PO

Case $230

Bezel $190

Hands $60

Dial $222

Datewheel $30

Bracelet $300

IMG_5518.jpg

IWC 3714

Case $200

IWC 78350 $700

TWB rubber strap $40

Case work $100

IMG_8411.jpg

IWC 3717

Case $400

ETA 7750 $250

German Day/Date $30

Dial $350

Hands $150

Crystal AR $60

IMG_8856.jpg

I know that the logic of building such watches doesn't make sense to some people considering the money invested, but this hobby isn't about the economics to me. Hobbies in general are expensive, and I'm sure I'd be spending just as much, if not more on other hobbies to keep me busy. Some may argue that there is no intrinsic value with a franken when comapred to a gen, but it's not about the resale to me. I don't build my watches with selling them in mind, but rather to keep. However, it should be pointed out that these watches do retain value regardless of what others may say, be it as a franken on the rep market (selling at what the market will allow), or as parts, which hold their value well on the secondary rep and gen markets.

Looking back, I could have purchased some nice gens for what I've spent in the past 6 years in this hobby, but I don't think I'd have learned as much as I have, or had as much fun :) It's absolutely been a labor of love.

deniz,

You nailed it! :)

Indeed... It's all about having fun and learning! The nice thing about building is that you get an inside look at how things go together and work as a whole. Another nice aspect is that parts are usually collected over time, which helps spread out cost. While the grand total for a finished product may seem a bit excessive to some for a franken project, I really look at it in terms of components- $300 here, $200 there... To me it isn't much different than someone who frequently buys reps and doesn't wear them :) The only difference is that the parts end up aggregated into a single watch as opposed to having several unmodded reps sitting in the watch box.

But you are absolutely correct- Our reasons for being on the forum are many, and it's what makes us all unique in our own sense :)