When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does Having The Beat Off Cause Wear Problems ?

manydivers

Hi,

I have a manual watch that needs to be shaken to start, I understand this is because the beat is off.

Is this a serious problem regarding longevity or should it be adjusted to always start on winding ?

Just because it has to be shaken to get the watch started, it may not be due to the beat being off... the beat could be out of adjustment, but without the benifit of testing the watch on a watch timer, there is no way to know for sure...

Beat being out is a problem in many ways, overbanking, inconsistant rate (running fast or slow) and the fact that the pallet and balance are not in sync is not good. It may damage the watch, but most likely it will only be an annoyance...

It's like the timing on your car being off, it still runs, a bit rough, and gas mileage is not as good, but it will still get you to the store...

RG

Hi,

thanks for the answer. but lets say I decided the rate indicator should be in the middle of its range

and not way low so I moved the arm that sets the beat so the regulator arm is near the centre of

its range, and now the watch needs to be shaken to start, though it seems to keep good time.

(Manual chinese 6497 movement)

Should I move it back somewhat, or leave it with the regulator arm near the centre ?

/mds.

Just because it has to be shaken to get the watch started, it may not be due to the beat being off... the beat could be out of adjustment, but without the benifit of testing the watch on a watch timer, there is no way to know for sure...

Beat being out is a problem in many ways, overbanking, inconsistant rate (running fast or slow) and the fact that the pallet and balance are not in sync is not good. It may damage the watch, but most likely it will only be an annoyance...

It's like the timing on your car being off, it still runs, a bit rough, and gas mileage is not as good, but it will still get you to the store...

RG

Hi,

some sort of variable stroboscopic disk to slow the balance wheel

down so you can see whats going on ? i.e. set by visual inspection ?

/mds.

Whilst this subject is being discussed..............

Back in the early watchmaking days before electronic timers where available,

how did they check the beat or perhaps they didn't ?

Puzzled Pete

• 2 weeks later...