When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tropic#39

kingkitesurf

I am confused. There is Rolex Tropic#39 but how does it look. I think there are two variants... One with high straight walls that raise above the thick bezel and a medium dome and the one that the MBW / WM tropic tends to resemble which is fully domed... What should be on our 1665's originaly...

This is how I want my WM1665 to look eventually... becuase I think that is original.

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...bayphotohosting

I think Ubi got a White Dweller 1665 looking like that :)

Who knows the ins and outs on Tropic #39

Edited by kingkitesurf

from what i know, the original sd had the tropic 39 superdome, which came higher off the bezel and had an extreme dome to it. i have the mbw drsd, and the dome sits right at the bezel, but i just ordered a tropic 39 non superdome, which like the original, sits well above it.

the main problem is finding the superdome, and when you do, its gonna run you at least $200-$300 for the gen, its RARE.

so i guess to answer the question, the sd's crystal, like the 1680, is technically supposed to be raised from the bezel, although i'm sure there have been gen models where it was flush with the bezel.

Ubi you never stop to amaze me... Always pictures at hand :3a: I love your white 1665 :wub:

Question is this: I can order a gen Tropic Superdome #39 but I am afraid that I get the same one as your left (it looks pretty much like the current MBW/WM tropic. I like the flatter one however. But I also understood that there is a real flat one (for the 1680) or is that a different number. How do I make sure that I get the flat one and not the very curved one? What do I ask for?

Edited by kingkitesurf

Well, the one on the left is a true, genuine T-39 Superdome. The crystal only rises a little above the bezel, but then has a very severe dome that rises much higher than the flat T-39.

The Superdomes are quite rare, so if you do happen to land one of those (and you don't want it), please be sure to post it for sale on the forum :) I am certain someone will most definitely want it :lol:

For all the rest... You can get the flat T-39's pretty easily still. They range in price from $100 to $200. They pop up from time to time from well known eBay'ers, and my supplier can usually get them as well (though his price is on the upper end of the scale). Just ask for the non-Superdome T39 ^_^

As an alternative, Helfands makes a near exact clone of the flat 39; only difference is that theirs does not have the slight bevel at the edge of the crystal.

kingkitesurf, the T-39 superdome doesn't look anything like the rep crystal. The difference is night and day & totally transforms the MBW 1665.

The T-39 is considerably thicker & taller than the rep. Also, the dial distortions caused by the T-39 at different angles are amazing & again, nothing like the rep crystal. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

T-39 superdome on my white letter 1665:

112773-23515.jpg

112773-23516.jpg