When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona With 7750 Manual Movement, Am I Crazy?

Guest RiverwindMDS

Guest RiverwindMDS

Take a look at this project. I used a case from an old daytona quartz replica very cheap but the case has a more or less correct thickness and i put inside a 7750 without the auto rotor. this was made only to make you see how close can be the thickness of the movement made manual respect the original one. I think this could be a good way to make a good repica but I need to find a correct case. This one is good for the thickness but isn't good because the crown is too near the glass (because of the quartz movement) so it is not centered with the movement. What do you think about that? Do you have any suggestion?

Edited by RiverwindMDS

Guest RiverwindMDS
DO the pushers work?

the pushers work when i fut them in it is the crown that is in the wrong position and doesn't work.

But this was just to show how can be thin a replica with the 7750 manual.

Siempre persiguiendo Daytonas :D (always running back Daytonas).

Finally you will get what you deserve my fried: A genuine one! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks for your kind words vmena.

I am sure I will end up getting a gen case or a good quality aftermarket case.

You will be the first to know it.

El Primero DAytona is da way 2 go. UH-Oh!

There's only one way to do a Daytona, and that's the right way.

Start with a 36.600bph caliber 400 with full auto-winding capability...

112998-23475.jpg

And a case with the correct dimensions (in this case, a genuine case. Can't get more correct than that)...

112998-23476.jpg

112998-23477.jpg

112998-23478.jpg

The result- A fully functional autowinding Daytona. No workarounds needed.

BTW... A good portion of the added thickness of the 7750 is on the dial side of the movement (it's not just the rotor). In order to squeeze in those extra gears, they had to add additional bridgeplates which adds additional height, and hence 'pushes' the stem further towards the back of the case than a standard 7750's stem would sit. This is ultimately the reason why the movement needs a thick case, and why the new versions of the Daytona with the slimmer rehaut and bezel have the stem positioned too far towards the back (and you get a sunken in crown at the CG's). If the stem has to sit further back, then the tube also needs to sit just as far back as you need the stem to line up center in the tube. If the stem has to be pushed back, then the case needs to be thicker, and so on etc.

And in the end... You're left with a manual wind movement in a watch that needs to be an automatic.

I always get excited at looking at your Daytona!

I started searching a rolex case but no luck.

I asked people in the parts business. They said they wish they would help me.

Its justa a matter of time.

The movement (EP 400) can be obtained from different sources...So no problem.

Guest RiverwindMDS
I always get excited at looking at your Daytona!

I started searching a rolex case but no luck.

I asked people in the parts business. They said they wish they would help me.

Its justa a matter of time.

The movement (EP 400) can be obtained from different sources...So no problem.

I have the movement and Dial for the el primero daytona next you'll se my project...

Guest RiverwindMDS
That would be the proper way of doing it.

113069-23448.jpg

are you doing another watch? Where did you buy the case? CAn you send me a pm because I need a case. Thanks

Guest RiverwindMDS
I'm not certain if another El Primero is in order. Having a white dial would be nice, but there are so many other projects on my list that I'd like to do at some point as well :)

Because I saw that you have another case there. I just wanted to know if you can find another.

Thanks

I love those DIY Daytona's. After my first mods on MBW I already feel up to a project like this... I think I am overestimating my capabilities here somewhat...

I really respect people doing these projects...

I would love to do a 6263 but have been reading all posts on the subject... Now I am discouraged... Let alone a Daytona project like this!

Ah I will stick around looking at them first... :bleh:

Take a look at this project. I used a case from an old daytona quartz replica very cheap but the case has a more or less correct thickness and i put inside a 7750 without the auto rotor. this was made only to make you see how close can be the thickness of the movement made manual respect the original one. I think this could be a good way to make a good repica but I need to find a correct case. This one is good for the thickness but isn't good because the crown is too near the glass (because of the quartz movement) so it is not centered with the movement. What do you think about that? Do you have any suggestion?

The other problem is that dial is only available in the white gold case, which has the thicker bull horn ends, not the standard ends like the ss daytonas.