When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My( new range) Vintage Rolex 1665 Comex Rep

aeromatic

The new vintage rolex submariner/sea dweller series rep from trustywatchguy is a big step up in quality and a very reasonable price made with the new 316f higher grade stainless steel it has a very solid feel to it, case finish is superb with eta 2836-2 or asian eta option.

The acylic crystal is a very thick superdome type which magnifies the matt comex dial ,the bezel is one of the thickest i have seen on a vintage rep giving the watch a unique profile it turns smoothly without any play the semi matt bezel insert is great with a flat pearl that should stay put.

the crown and tube is of a thick type like on a gen turns/winds the watch silently and very precise again one of the best i have seen.

the backcase is a very thick type and well engraved with the comex/rolex logos.

the helium escape valve is a dummy but can be drilled out and have a yukiwatch escape valve fitted

Overall this is a heavy solid watch mabe the new 316f steel is a bit too bright for a vintage watch but this can be toned down with a combination of rubbing the case with steelwool and polish it upto the required shine

this watch would be great left as it is or would make a great project possibly by fitting a gen rolex movement or mabe fitting an older slower beat eta movement mabe a 2783/4 from a 70s watch i have one fitted to my 5513 which may become a tudor sub in the near future but thats another story(staytuned) aeromatic!

post-27094-126443529719_thumb.jpgpost-27094-126443569747_thumb.jpgpost-27094-12644358368_thumb.jpg

a

Edited by aeromatic

Very nice! Can you post a macro of the dial?

Hi There Nanuq how are you thanks my cameras not to good i will replace it some day soon, there is some good photos on trusywatchguy (trustytime.com) check it out!

i found the dial to be a very good one trusty said that these are limited editions but at 248usd with eta i found the price reasonable, oh and it is water resistant i tested it!

Aeromatic!

Edited by aeromatic

[quote name='aeromatic' date='25 January 2010 - 06:42 PM' timestamp='1264437770' post='783375'

Edited by aeromatic

The new vintage rolex submariner/sea dweller series rep from trustywatchguy is a big step up in quality and a very reasonable price made with the new 316f higher grade stainless steel it has a very solid feel to it, case finish is superb with eta 2836-2 or asian eta option.

The acylic crystal is a very thick superdome type which magnifies the matt comex dial ,the bezel is one of the thickest i have seen on a vintage rep giving the watch a unique profile it turns smoothly without any play the semi matt bezel insert is great with a flat pearl that should stay put.

the crown and tube is of a thick type like on a gen turns/winds the watch silently and very precise again one of the best i have seen.

the backcase is a very thick type and well engraved with the comex/rolex logos.

the helium escape valve is a dummy but can be drilled out and have a yukiwatch escape valve fitted

Overall this is a heavy solid watch mabe the new 316f steel is a bit too bright for a vintage watch but this can be toned down with a combination of rubbing the case with steelwool and polish it upto the required shine

this watch would be great left as it is or would make a great project possibly by fitting a gen rolex movement or mabe fitting an older slower beat eta movement mabe a 2783/4 from a 70s watch i have one fitted to my 5513 which may become a tudor sub in the near future but thats another story(staytuned) aeromatic!

FYI!

DON'T Get it WET or Dunk in water! I broke the Cardinal Sin......Since the Dealer claimed it's Water Resistant......don't assume it is!!! :black_eye:

Here's my Comex 1685 with same case or build as yours, this from Joshua.....after I dunk it in a bowl of water to clean it:

Sorry for the Pix.....I took without aadjusting the WB!

comex.jpg

I applied grease to all the rubbere o-rings.....but guess where the water got thru?????????

the crystal!

Here it is after I sealed the crystal and did some Bastardizing :victory: (waiting for new movement......the original died after the water bath :lol: !):

comexdial.jpg

post-27094-126444302916_thumb.jpgpost-27094-126444307777_thumb.jpgpost-27094-12644431797_thumb.jpgpost-27094-126444326658_thumb.jpg

Nice, but nothing new or improved as far as I can see. Better pics, as Nanuq requested, would of course help.

i dont have a good camera at the moment so i borrowed some photos of my watch from trustywatchguy (trustytime.com) i hope they wont mind this is a much better watch that the older top grade vintage range as i own most of the old range and i believe some parts are interchangable with gen!

Edited by aeromatic

FYI!

DON'T Get it WET or Dunk in water! I broke the Cardinal Sin......Since the Dealer claimed it's Water Resistant......don't assume it is!!! :black_eye:

Here's my Comex 1685 with same case or build as yours, this from Joshua.....after I dunk it in a bowl of water to clean it:

Sorry for the Pix.....I took without aadjusting the WB!

I applied grease to all the rubbere o-rings.....but guess where the water got thru?????????

the crystal!

Here it is after I sealed the crystal and did some Bastardizing :victory: (waiting for new movement......the original died after the water bath :lol: !):

Hi Hikeusa we tested three of them we got from trustytime with my watchmaker friend in a bucket of water left over night and i used mine for swimming no problem at all i know that some of these reps quality is hit and miss... we even tried to remove the crystal to see how it was seated these watches we tested had very tight seal how did you seal it in the end?

Very nice! Can you post a macro of the dial?

! here is a close up of the dial sorry about the scratched crystal my attempt at aging it!

post-27094-126512948119_thumb.jpgpost-27094-126512936532_thumb.jpgpost-27094-126512967919_thumb.jpg this is the same dial but with a flat crystal (no distortion)