When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Calling all SOSF experts!

dovo1695

Hi All,

After reading Kramerica2's excellent review "battle of the budget watches" (link below), I've decided to buy an Super Ocean Steelfish. I already have a Porikka, (currently my favorite Rep) and I thought I'd make a pair by buying the Asian SOSF. In "the battle of the budget watches", Kramerica makes reference to a "noobfish" that is an Asian SOSF, but with a sapphire crystal with double AR rather than mineral, it has upgraded lume as well. In addition, he indicates that the noobfish is more accurate than the Asian SOSF's available elsewhere. I’m particularly interested in the “noobfish” model because of the double sided AR crystal. I’m planning on buying either the black or the blue versions, and by all accounts the double AR makes all the difference with the dark faced options. I’ve provided a link to the RWI article where Time4Direct introduces his Asian version of the SOSF. Based on the pictures, it appears that this version is not as good as the version Bytor described in his recent article “Where to still get the best steelfish”. But I’m a bit of noob so I the only difference I see is the arrow second hand. If anyone would like to point out other deficiencies I’d be willing to look like a bonehead to learn something in the process.

Has anyone ever bought a Noobfish from Time4Direct like the one that Kramerica mentions? Has anyone ever seen one firsthand? Does anybody have experience with the dealer time4direct? You’re help is greatly appreciated. I’ve loved this watch for a long time and I want to get it right!

Battle of Value Watches:

Introducing the “Noobfish” (on RWI)

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/new-breitling-sosf-sapphire-ar-37748.html?t=37748&highlight=time4direct+sosf

Info: Where to still get the best steelfish

Thanks Again,

Dovo

Im after one myself dovo hopefully we can get hold of something. Its been really hard cause I want a white one, and the last 3 dealers I have asked have none of the white ones left.

Also a question for someone that might know, what is width for bracelets/bands on the SOSF, 22mm?

From what I understand the arrow seconds version "noobfish" is no longer available. A while back there was a deal over on RWI at $168usd. I don't like the arrow version as much as the box seconds hand version. Go for the ETA and call it a day :-).. if not the Asian SOSF is exactly the same but with mineral crystal. I sold my asian to WIBBE about 2 months ago.. here's a picture of my "ex" asian:

IMG_1794.jpg

Im after one myself dovo hopefully we can get hold of something. Its been really hard cause I want a white one, and the last 3 dealers I have asked have none of the white ones left.

Also a question for someone that might know, what is width for bracelets/bands on the SOSF, 22mm?

I have a lite version that has not been worn.. like the one Plai has posted ..it has no AR and an Asian movement.. fyi

yup...movement is an asian DG4813 high-beat, if memory serves me right... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

for what it's worth - this was a special factory build of the "lite" SOSF with a really nice feature set - double ar, high beat clone movement, etc...at a special price of $169 plus shipping costs...as you have discovered, all asian fish are not alike...and the gen SOSF did come with an arrow hand - i can't recall which model year(s)...

yes the width is 22mm/20mm (22mm at the lugs.. and 20mm at the bracelet end)

one could always upgrade to supporter level and post a WTB... :)

Nice... you cant beat $169 and I personally like the arrow second hand... i think they came out in 2008. I hope/wish they come out with Skyland Lite... I'd jump on that in a heartbeat!

yup...movement is an asian DG4813 high-beat, if memory serves me right... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

for what it's worth - this was a special factory build of the "lite" SOSF with a really nice feature set - double ar, high beat clone movement, etc...at a special price of $169 plus shipping costs...as you have discovered, all asian fish are not alike...and the gen SOSF did come with an arrow hand - i can't recall which model year(s)...

I have a thread that compares the lite to the eta.

it's all here for you dovo.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I read your thread about the Lite vs the ETA a little while back. It was actually one of the key threads that got me so interested in the SOSF. I wasnt sure if the SOSF was right for me, but I figured for only $100 for one of the best reps around, I had an obligation as an RWGr to at least try it out for a few weeks! I really want to thank you Lanikai for all of the amazing reviews, posts, and pictures you contribute to this forum. I cant tell you how much Ive enjoyed reading through your amazing macro pictorial reviews and Im sure Im not alone. :good:

By way of update, Ive decided to go with a black dial and Ill be getting both the ETA SOSF and the Asian SOSF! I figure this will serve 4 useful purposes. First, Ive never seen double AR firsthand and Id really like to own a watch with double AR. Second, no review exists of the black dial Asian SOSF vs the ETA SOSF and I think the black dial will really show what a difference double AR makes in this rep. And third, Ive never posted a review before, and I think it would be a good way for me to contribute a review to the forum that might help someone else. And fourth, the Silix asian and ETA SOSFs are ~40%-30% cheaper than the others that Ive found and Id like to know if this represents a great value or a significant compromise in quality. Ill keep you posted.

-Dovo

The t4d "lite" is actually quite good bang for the buck... I got a black one to try out an SOSF when they where available and except for the little greenish lume and AR, which is pretty average, its very accurate and high quality... :thumbs:

Anyways, since i almost quit on wearing reps which are not near perfect :whistling: , it has been lying in my watchbox for some months now, and would not mind taking on a nice new home.

On a bracelet? Do you want to sell :victory:

Edited by diggah

I read your thread about the Lite vs the ETA a little while back. It was actually one of the key threads that got me so interested in the SOSF. I wasn’t sure if the SOSF was right for me, but I figured for only $100 for one of the best reps around, I had an obligation as an RWG’r to at least try it out for a few weeks! I really want to thank you Lanikai for all of the amazing reviews, posts, and pictures you contribute to this forum. I can’t tell you how much I’ve enjoyed reading through your amazing macro pictorial reviews and I’m sure I’m not alone. :good:

By way of update, I’ve decided to go with a black dial and I’ll be getting both the ETA SOSF and the Asian SOSF! I figure this will serve 4 useful purposes. First, I’ve never seen double AR firsthand and I’d really like to own a watch with double AR. Second, no review exists of the black dial Asian SOSF vs the ETA SOSF and I think the black dial will really show what a difference double AR makes in this rep. And third, I’ve never posted a review before, and I think it would be a good way for me to contribute a review to the forum that might help someone else. And fourth, the Silix asian and ETA SOSF’s are ~40%-30% cheaper than the others that I’ve found and I’d like to know if this represents a great value or a significant compromise in quality. I’ll keep you posted.

-Dovo

Thank you for the kind words Dove .. it is the basis for this forum and what we do here as a community..

INFO.. so all the newcomers will be better prepared to make good decisions..

and then you have the next level of knowledge with the likes of Ubi, tribal, freddy, Jojo.. and of course Ziggy and his tutorials and movement reviews..

I really believe we are best suited for pure tech knowledge.. and everything else is icing on the cake of this great community :victory:

Now I'm looking forward to your pics and reviews.. passing it along to the next member that is coming on board.. B)

AC/Lani

cant wait for the pics and the review :)

It might be a little while. I just got shipping confirmation a few days ago and some pics of the watches that I'm being sent. Unfortunately it looks like they sent the wrong watch. As I said above, I ordered the black dial versions of the Asian & ETA SOSF. Looks like Ill be getting black and blue instead (which I'm sure was an honest mistake). (pic below).

post-12012-126569102342_thumb.jpg

post-12012-126569109515_thumb.jpg

post-12012-126569109515_thumb.jpg

When I saw the picture I emailed Silix immediately to make him aware of the mistake. Unfortunately he put them in the mail before he emailed the pics. Hes told me that hes unable to do anything until after the New Years holiday (which I completely understand). I asked him to send me the replacement watch as soon as was feasible, which would be the last week in February. He instead offered to send me a black replacement dial. Im not really sure how to handle the situation. Im not incredibly picky, but this isnt a slightly misaligned bezel; the watch has the wrong dial color. I dont have any of the tools that I would need to replace the dial, and Im reluctant to pay a watchsmith $50 to do it. Should I ask for a replacement watch or just accept the dial that hes offered to send me? Ive never run into a situation like this before and I dont feel like I have much leverage. Not sure what to do. Please understand that I'm not bashing Silix here and I don't want anyone else to either. He's been dealing honestly on these boards far longer than I've been a member. I just need a bit of advice on what to do. I know its not a big deal, but its really bummed me out. I was really looking forward to getting these watches.

Other questions:

Is it just me or does the crown guard look off on the blue one?

It also looks like the case size is significantly different on the two watches. Is this possible or just an optical illusion?

I cant tell which is the ETA and which is the Asian (I can appreciate the irony ^_^ ) does anyone know?

Disappointed in Calgary,

Dovo

tough situation to be in, I can relate cause Im going through a similar problem with another dealer but I had a movement problem. Was really dissapointed because soon as I opened the box I knew there was a problem, the watch wasn't running..they suggested going to local a watch smith :/

I thought long and hard, and sent it back, I know I'm going to have to wait about 6 weeks to get it back (chinese new year), but I don't have enough confidence with movements, and going to a local watch smith would cost the same amount as the watch to fix. So sending back for replacement or fix was the most sensible option.

Its not you who is at fault, its their mistake so they have to help rectify the situation. If you want it replaced tell them that's what you want, that you can't replace the dial and send the wrong one back. Cost of workmanship is not as cheap in our countries as it is in china.