When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So what do I do Now

trap door

I am a watch enthusiast that is all thumbs. I have collected and currently own dozens of vintage Chronos and pilot watches. I wanted a Rolex Sub Rep to use as an everyday watch so below is my delemma:

My first Replica Sub was purchased second hand on this forum. Here is a brief description:

It is an:

M-Serial LV Euromariner Case with a

DG2813,

Noob Dial/Hands,

Black Bezel,

WM Pearl and...

WM9 Bracelet.

After purchasing the watch I started have trouble with the movement starting a stopping. My watchmaker in the area said he wouldn't work on

the DG4812. Too many frustrations in the past for him to get involved.

So I purchased an entirely new movement from Eurotimez and had it re installed. A week later I am at a concert while applauding I can feel the winding movement spinning incredibly fast and then I look down and the watch has stopped. Watch now does not work,

What is the smart solution? The watch looks incredible from the outside but I can't seem to keep it going. Is this the way it goes with reps?

I own a number of a21j reps, but they only get occasional use. As Tribal says, your best bet for regular use is the 'swiss' eta. I wonder if Chris at ETZ could source you a complete 2836-2 movement w/ dial, correct hands and datewheel overlay. Then it's an easy swap over. Otherwise, you have to find a 'swiss' eta 2836-2, correct hands (esp. fat minute hand) and swap out the dw overlay from your old movement, cut the dial feet on your asian dial, glue it to the new movement,and swap over the crown. But since you have a watchmaker, maybe he can do all of that for you easily.

Another option would be to get the Miyota 8215 movement, the hands typically swap over, you do have to move over the DW, and I don't think the dial feet are in the same place, so you cut the feet and glue or use dial dots. But once again, your watchmaker might be able to do this easily. You can buy the 8215 from www.julesborel.com or www.ofrei.com for around $30-40. Miyotas are excellent workhorses. I own a few knock-offs w/ the Miyotas inside, very dependable.