When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian 23J problem - autowind does not work

bluemax

Hi,

I just got UN Blue Surf with Asian 23J automatic movement. If I wind it manually, the watch works fine, but it does not wind automatically at all. The rotor just spins without resistance in both directions. The wheel connected to the rotor spins together with it. Power reserve dial fills up when manually winding, but drains (slowly, as expected) even when I wear the watch for the whole day.

Hand winding the watch does not make the rotor spin, so I guess the click spring is ok. Also, I have noticed that the watch does not hack when the crown is in time setting position, and it is not possible to move the crown to switch from date to time setting, and vice versa. Instead, I have to go to the winding position and then to one of the others (did not try to move anything with force).

Does something like this looks like it might have a simple fix, or some parts could be broken?

Many thanks.

EDIT: added an image to describe the problem better:

un1s.jpg

Wheel 1 turns together with the rotor in both directions.

Wheel 2 turns only when manually winding (I do not know if it is supposed to turn with the rotor or not)

Could not notice any movement of wheel 3 when I move the watch so the rotor turns.

Edited by bluemax

Hey Zig...this one is a tricky one as it is the Ulysse Nardin with the running seconds at 6, power reserve at 12 and date at 6. I'm trying to find the source for the original asian replacement movement. Of course the decorated rotor would have to be replaced...so I don't think because of the complications, that the 8215 will work.

This is why I haven't bought one of these UN's yet. :(

Hey Zig...this one is a tricky one as it is the Ulysse Nardin with the running seconds at 6, power reserve at 12 and date at 6. I'm trying to find the source for the original asian replacement movement. Of course the decorated rotor would have to be replaced...so I don't think because of the complications, that the 8215 will work.

This is why I haven't bought one of these UN's yet. :(

Understood, that would explain why it's broken, with that many mods to any movement, it's a time bomb...

Understood, that would explain why it's broken, with that many mods to any movement, it's a time bomb...

Yeah...I'm trying to find out some info on this movement. This is actually the first post on this that I've seen somebody have problems on it. I'm thinking it might be a movement I remember seeing in one of my catalogues that was modded in the same way as the other ones...stay tuned...I'll keep you posted.

• 3 weeks later...

Just found some pics of the seiko version, it is quite simple i would be interested to see some good photos of the non working movement

Seiko

sd6sm.jpg

sd7sm.jpg

As you can see here the rotors turns and pointer a mover round as the rotor does, this is slightly off set with as it moves pulls or pushes the pawl that turns the crown wheel and winds the movement, the difference here with the pellaton system is that this only winds in one direction.

Thanks that proves the type of winding system, can you see pawls on the photo that blue max posted, i think i can but cant be sure,

As for the crown release is that a small push button about 2mm down from the stem that look like the most likely candidate but i am expecting one of these in the next week or so i will be able to say more then.

post-1258-126746903203_thumb.jpg

Thanks that proves the type of winding system, can you see pawls on the photo that blue max posted, i think i can but cant be sure,

As for the crown release is that a small push button about 2mm down from the stem that look like the most likely candidate but i am expecting one of these in the next week or so i will be able to say more then.

That was the first thing I tried but it did not seem to push down. I tried unscrewing the blue screws too. I think I went around and pushed everything that looked like a button while pulling the crown.

Please let me know if you find out as my son drop the blue surf and this happened... :rolleyes:

img2385s.jpg

This is a picture of the movement but with the rotor still on. Less reflection from the over-enthusiastic pearlage.

img2384s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

To release the crown on a maxi marine

photo13z.jpg

Text again in case you cant read the green

With the crown in the winding position

a small lever will be visible here press

that while gently pulling the crown.

To check you have the right bit

open and close the crown from winding

pos to hand setting and you will see the lever pop in and out

An update regarding my original problem with faulty autowind: got it fixed at a local watchmaker, it seems that a couple of parts in autowind section somehow got broken/bent. After replacing them, the watch seems to be working fine.

The watchmaker told me that most of the parts from this movement can be exchanged with a certain Seagull one, but did not tell me the exact model.