When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Second hand pauses while the rotor spins...

TeeJay

What kind of movement is it? I have the same problem with my SMP which has an ETA 2824-2. Turns out the seconds hand tube was stretched when I removed it and now it does not grab the pin correctly. Sometimes it catches, other times it just sits there even though the movement is going

the two parts of the movement are as far removed as they can be, with the auto winding gears, mainspring and going train separating them, very strange how one affects the other

Unless when you rotor spins it is catching on one or another gear in the going train there for stopping the movement as it touches

What kind of movement is it? I have the same problem with my SMP which has an ETA 2824-2. Turns out the seconds hand tube was stretched when I removed it and now it does not grab the pin correctly. Sometimes it catches, other times it just sits there even though the movement is going

Just a bog-standard A21j... It seems to be running fine other than that, but if the rotor is spinning quickly (ie shook in the hand, rather than just worn on the wrist) the second hand stops... :pardon::black_eye:

the two parts of the movement are as far removed as they can be, with the auto winding gears, mainspring and going train separating them, very strange how one affects the other

Unless when you rotor spins it is catching on one or another gear in the going train there for stopping the movement as it touches

That's what I was thinking... There doesn't appear to be any drag with the rotor spinning, it seems to be spinning totally normally... Very strange... :bangin:

Just a quick update:

The watch has kept perfect time while off the wrist, but the movement of say, raising the wrist to check the time, creates enough rotor spin to freeze the second hand, so although it's keeping accurate time off the wrist, I don't think it can be trusted to be worn... :cry2: