When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

WTB GMT II Ceramic or Milgauss - need help please

just.b

You are correct. In China there are many many different styles of watches produced in different levels of quality. 10 Euro Rolex or 500 Euro Rolex .. First decide how much you want to spend on a replica watch. Then you will know what quality range you are looking for.

Some dealers here have a "value watch" section and a "Swiss watch (not really Swiss. Just higher quality rep)" section of their web store .. you can see the different price ranges of watches by looking there.

Some watches are offered with different movements. A Submariner might have either an ETA Swiss (real Swiss) movement or a Asian copy ETA or an Asian 21j perhaps even an Asian quartz movement .. all for different prices.

If you are buying a watch right now, be aware that it is the Chinese New Year and all of China is on vacation!! Your delivery and all email will be very slow or totally stopped!

There are excellent reviews of the "super" quality versions of the Milgauss and the GMT IIc here ... they can point you at the best quality versions.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Read the Noob Guide linked in my signature for some good info on the rep buying experience.

The trick with the GMT's is that this movement is a modified one so the lower end models have a cheaper GMT movement which is not that great from what I've read. Some will have had ok luck on them...but for the GMT, it seems better to go for what's called the ICHS (Incorrect Hand Stack) modified gen ETA. This means one of the more expensive watches of its kind.

The Milgauss on the other hand can get you a great, reliable and easy to fix (by cheap movement replacement) rep that is very close to the gen for around $130!! The movement will feel rougher and cheaper when winding or setting the time compared to the gen or an ETA...but for $130 and a replacement movement for around $20...you're good to go on the budget and to get you introduced to the rep world.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Read the Noob Guide linked in my signature for some good info on the rep buying experience.

The trick with the GMT's is that this movement is a modified one so the lower end models have a cheaper GMT movement which is not that great from what I've read. Some will have had ok luck on them...but for the GMT, it seems better to go for what's called the ICHS (Incorrect Hand Stack) modified gen ETA. This means one of the more expensive watches of its kind.

Hi ToadTorrent,

Pardon my ignorance but why would the ICHS be more expensive? I thought the CHS is the more expensive? Confused.

Can you please clarify?

cheers,

Pardon my ignorance but why would the ICHS be more expensive? I thought the CHS is the more expensive? Confused.

Can you please clarify?

Sorry for the confusion. There are 2 genuine Swiss movements out there. The Swiss ICHS, and the Swiss CHS. The latter is the most expensive. The Asian ETA is cheaper than the Swiss ETA and only comes in the ICHS version. The CHS looks just like the gen in the order the hands are stacked from the dial to the top...and operates the same way as the gen Rolex movement. It is an unreliable movement and prone to premature, infixable failure.

The ICHS in either the Swiss or Asian ETA versions are better...the Swiss being the best of the variety...and a cheaper A21j version exists as well that uses a cheaper movement.

thanks for the clarification. so it's trade off between accuracy and reliability ...mmmmm i was thinking of getting the explorer ii but now i'm not so sure. i would prefer the CHS but if it's not reliable then it's not good.

may give it a miss altogether.

thanks for the clarification. so it's trade off between accuracy and reliability ...mmmmm i was thinking of getting the explorer ii but now i'm not so sure. i would prefer the CHS but if it's not reliable then it's not good.

may give it a miss altogether.

The only time you would notice the handstack being off is when the hour and GMT hands overlap...otherwise, there are VERY VERY few out there who would have a clue as to which is the right handstack...so it's really not something worth worrying about unless you are a zealot for perfection...then reps in general may not be worth it for you.