When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2824 alternative movement?

catboy

i've got a totally trashed UPO which i brought to rob the dial and bezel from for another UPO thats working fine.. unfortunately my rolex beater is trashed (got completely wiped out when i got dragged into a lake by one of the dogs this weekend) so im looking to replace it with a UPO beater

the crown/tube was stripped so i've replaced with gen parts (pretty swish for a beater ;) ) and brought a cheap sharkproof bracelet from strapcode. all i need now is a movement so i can put it back together (the movement in this watch was robbed for something else)

I've been looking around and i can't justify 150-200 for a gen 2824 movement, but i can't find any alternatives for sale anywhere..

i've shortlisted sellita sw200 or a seagull/chinese eta copy as cheap alternatives however i can't find prices or anywhere i could buy either to complete this beater..

if anyone can help i'd appreciate it; pref in the EU but don't mind waiting if it needs to come from elsewhere..

thanks in advance

ben

ps.. i have datewheel, hands, dial, movement ring, etc, so if it was a direct replacement for the 2824 that was in there that would be simplest for me

pps.. eurotimez has a dg highbeat movement which swaps into their cheaper rolex reps, but not sure if this would be suitable as a 2824 replacement? they're readilly available and well within "beater price-range"!

i've got a totally trashed UPO which i brought to rob the dial and bezel from for another UPO thats working fine.. unfortunately my rolex beater is trashed (got completely wiped out when i got dragged into a lake by one of the dogs this weekend) so im looking to replace it with a UPO beater

the crown/tube was stripped so i've replaced with gen parts (pretty swish for a beater ;) ) and brought a cheap sharkproof bracelet from strapcode. all i need now is a movement so i can put it back together (the movement in this watch was robbed for something else)

I've been looking around and i can't justify 150-200 for a gen 2824 movement, but i can't find any alternatives for sale anywhere..

i've shortlisted sellita sw200 or a seagull/chinese eta copy as cheap alternatives however i can't find prices or anywhere i could buy either to complete this beater..

if anyone can help i'd appreciate it; pref in the EU but don't mind waiting if it needs to come from elsewhere..

thanks in advance

ben

ps.. i have datewheel, hands, dial, movement ring, etc, so if it was a direct replacement for the 2824 that was in there that would be simplest for me

pps.. eurotimez has a dg highbeat movement which swaps into their cheaper rolex reps, but not sure if this would be suitable as a 2824 replacement? they're readilly available and well within "beater price-range"!

As far as size is concerned.. I'm pretty sure both movements are VERY similar in size. An important issue might be whether or not the hands will fit. I'm not sure the ETA hands from the UPO will fit a DG4813 movement.. but don't quote me on that. Hopefully someone else can chime in and verify. If the hands are indeed an issue, then maybe they'd be able to be modified to fit a DG4813. Also keep in mind that the DG highbeat (4813) offered by eurotimez is a high canon pin version so you'll have to make sure the 2824 also uses high canon pin.. again it comes down to hand fitment. Good luck!

thanks thats all good info, esp the cannon pin height; i seem to remember this has been discussed elsewhere when someone upgraded to a different (better) eta movemement and a tall cannon pin was an issue..

would be very interested in that case in a chinese / seagul / asian / whatever eta2824 copy whcih i guess should be more-or-less a swapsie :whistling:

thanks thats all good info, esp the cannon pin height; i seem to remember this has been discussed elsewhere when someone upgraded to a different (better) eta movemement and a tall cannon pin was an issue..

would be very interested in that case in a chinese / seagul / asian / whatever eta2824 copy whcih i guess should be more-or-less a swapsie :whistling:

It won't cost you any less.. and for the price you might as well spend the 125bucks for a new eta. On ebay I've seen them for as low as $105usd. You can get gen seagulls for $70 which is also 99% the same as the 2824.

eta: http://cgi.ebay.com/ETA-2824-2A-Watch-Movement-25-jewels-Genuine-New_W0QQitemZ260548529639QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca9e70de7

seagull: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sea-Gull-26-Jewel-Auto-Movement-NEW-same-Spec-ETA-2824_W0QQitemZ150415341760QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230573f8c0