When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Triplock Crown Thread

omgiv

I remember reading a thread where someone had picture of a bunch of genuine triplock crowns showing the differences. I have searched for it but can't find it. Has anyone else seen it or know how to find it? I have done a few advanced searches and haven't found it. I have a crown but don't know if it is genuine. Thanks!!!

Here are the pictures. I hope they help. The crown I am wondering about is always on the left in the pictures. It is an old one I had in a drawer and I don't know if it is genuine. It does fit on a genuine tube with no problem, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. The one on the right is a crown that I just took out of the package, so I know it is a newer genuine crown. I used my digital micrometer and the crown on the left measures 6.96mm in diameter and 3.8mm in thickness (not including the tube for the stem). The crown on the right measures 7.06mm in diameter and 3.7 in thickness. Let me know if you need more information. Thanks!!!!

th_DSC_0002-2.jpg

th_DSC_0004-4.jpg

th_DSC_0006-3.jpg

Not really (none of these pics are very good or very clear), so I can only give you a best guess based on my optimized versions of your original pics

Image1-28.jpg

Image2-10.jpg

The crown on the left is the current version of the Triplock & could be either rep or gen. The crown on the right looks like a gen 703 (previous version of Triplock used until the late 90s or early 00s). If either arrived in a factory sealed (Rolex signed) package & came from a reliable seller, then they are probably both gens. If either crown did not meet both of these specs, then my guess is as good as yours.

Did you ever find a new 703 that was solid and not crimped?

Nope.

My watchmaker has examined every 703 crown he had and has ordered and all are crimped with the 3 dots in close proximety to the bottom of the coronet. The opening in the coronet is more narrow on all Gen crowns both 703 and 704's.

I still challenge any and all to produce a gen 703 in package that has a solid construction.

Thanks for the opinion Justasgood. Here are some more pictures. Don't know that they are much better though. The sun has gone down and there is no natural light. If better pictures are still needed, I will try to get some better ones tomorrow if the sun decides to come out. Thanks!!!!

th_DSC_0007.jpg

th_DSC_0011-1.jpg

th_DSC_0013-4.jpg

th_DSC_0015-1.jpg

th_DSC_0014-2.jpg