When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Project Ceramic GMT 116710

panerai153

Guys I need a little help. I'm planning to do some "upgrades" on my GMT 116710 Ceramic. I really like this watch, but I do think it would benefit from a few "Tweaks"

First off, I'm going to have some time on my hands in the next few weeks to do some searching. Taking a few weeks off for surgery, so I'll be bored stiff after about a week.

I have an ETA 2893-2 that I want to exchange for the 2836 that's in the watch.2836 is working OK, but I like the idea of the 2893-2 as it is a true GMT movement.

Second, I want to replace the crystal with either a Clark or genuine. I was planning to pick up a Clark and remove the cyclops, send the crystal to Chief for and AR job and try to do the Lani project to remove the AR where it isn't supposed to be. Unfortunately, Clark is down too. He's having hip surgery and will be closed down til March 27th.So here is my plea. If anyone out there has a genuine you would sell, or a Clark for sale, that you have laying around waiting on a project, I would really appreciate the help.

Last of all,the lume on this watch just isn't up to snuff. It glows fine for a few minutes, but it fades rapidly. It would really benefit from The Zigmeister's superluminova lume job.

So hopefully with the help of all you great folks on the forum, I can accumulate the parts and send everything off to The Zigmeister's magic shop for a magical transformation.

Thanks in advance for the help guys. If you don't have one of these crystals, but know where I can find one , please let me know.

Thanks for the info gentlemen.

Toad, I was planning to remove the cyclops and send the crystal to Chief for AR coating then remove hte excess AR except under the cyclops. Too bad you can't just AR the cyclops, looks like that would make it a much easier mod.

Freddy, Thanks, that is a very interesting and informative thread. You mentioned the crown being wrong? What is the correct crown for the 116710.

If this crystal thing looks to be too daunting to pull off, I may just send the watch to The Zigmeister for a relume and the 2893-2 movement exchange. As you said in your thread, The AR is almost inconsequential except in the right light conditions. I have a problem with glare and at times seeing the date is difficult with the fluorescent lights we have in our operating rooms. I'm probably making too much out of this, as it may be a problem that isn't worth solving.

I'm going to have a pretty good bit of time on my hands in the next few weeks, post surgery, and I thought that finding all the bits to do this project would be a good way to spend my "Down" time.

You mentioned the crown being wrong? What is the correct crown for the 116710.

If this crystal thing looks to be too daunting to pull off, I may just send the watch to The Zigmeister for a relume and the 2893-2 movement exchange. As you said in your thread, The AR is almost inconsequential except in the right light conditions. I have a problem with glare and at times seeing the date is difficult with the fluorescent lights we have in our operating rooms. I'm probably making too much out of this, as it may be a problem that isn't worth solving.

The lighting in a typical surgery is probably 1 of the few places (outside a jewelry store) where the GMTIIC's AR will come in useful, so I think the work involved in getting your crystal AR'd can certainly be justified.

The original rep crown, while better than most rep crowns, is a bit too wide, which is why I replaced mine with a gen 7mm Triplock (24-704 - purchased on ebay).

The lighting in a typical surgery is probably 1 of the few places (outside a jewelry store) where the GMTIIC's AR will come in useful, so I think the work involved in getting your crystal AR'd can certainly be justified.

The original rep crown, while better than most rep crowns, is a bit too wide, which is why I replaced mine with a gen 7mm Triplock (24-704 - purchased on ebay).

Thanks very much Freddy. I appreciate the help.