When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Planet Ocean Chrono Quartz

Everythingape

Just thought I'd write a few words about it.

I love the Orange Planet Ocean Chrono, so when ordering some watches from Andrew, I bought one of these too, the quartz model. I know this is like cursing in church, but being an engineer, I don't trust stuff that don't run on diesel or batteries yet.. ;)

I might buy a mechanical version of this watch when it's closer to the original.

The watch looks good and feels solid, it has got most of the 7750-flaws, like the white 90-degree wrong datewheel, fat 3-6-9-12 numbers, too distinct hour-marker frames and the bracelet feels a bit tinny and light. (Though it feels good on the wrist) The clasp is ok, but the diver's extension can be a hassle if you don't get it right.

The flaws of the 7750-PO have already been pointed out in this section, so I wont bore you with those details. I have not actually handled one of these, so the owners of such watches will have to excuse me.

I'd rather point out what is good in my quartz.

I actually think it looks somewhat better than the mechanical version due to better sub-dial spacing, though the dials are mixed around and marked all wrong.

The hands are longer and more accurate

3-6-9-12 markers are better, not so square.

And the pusher ends are better. (without the flare on top)

Weighs in at 145g, and compared to my SMP GMT's 155g, it still feels solid.

It's a cheap watch, but a nice chrono. I like it.

114923-23001.jpg 114923-23002.jpg 114923-23003.jpg 114923-23004.jpg 114923-23005.jpg

Thanks for the review, everything!

I really like the look of this, and quartz movement doesn't bother me.

I'm going to order this from Andrew.

Can you please tell me, is the lug width 20mm? I have a rep black rubber strap that was supposed to fit the 4th gen PO but it looked terrible on, I 'm hoping I could install that strap on this baby, that would look really sharp.

Thanks!

Thanks for the review, everything!

I really like the look of this, and quartz movement doesn't bother me.

I'm going to order this from Andrew.

Can you please tell me, is the lug width 20mm? I have a rep black rubber strap that was supposed to fit the 4th gen PO but it looked terrible on, I 'm hoping I could install that strap on this baby, that would look really sharp.

Thanks!

The lug width is 20mm on this one.. at least from andrew it is :)

-Kaneda

Is the seconds hand powered by a microstep motor so it sweeps, or does it have a visible 'ticking' movement of typical quartz movements?

Both second hands tick, leitzozeiss. I must say it does not bother me quite so much on a chrono.

Happy you liked it rek001, I tried mine with a couple of cheap "alligator" straps and it pulls it off. I love the look with the smooth black leather strap with orange stitching that they show on the Omega site:

Omega Site

Yep, I 'm happy too - I ordered it from Andrew today.Sharp looking watch.

You've tried leather strap, please tell me, is there a noticeable gap between the ends of the leather strap and the case, between the lugs?

Andrew told me the rep black rubber strap would not fit well, but I'd like to get a black croc strap with white topstitch, then dye the white thread with orange marker, same as the genuine you link to Omega site.

Happy waiting ;)

About the gap, there IS a gap, but I doubt it will bother anyone. And I did not think about it before you asked. It's noticable near the lugs, in the middle it's not. I guess if you have really tiny wrists it MIGHT bother you, but the orange kinda grabs your attention ;)

Thanks for this review. I added this into my Omega Guide. It's the first review I've seen of the PO chrono. I'm amazed that nobody has bought and reviewed the 7750-version yet.

Well, I thought about it, but reading the thread about it, I just didn't think it was worth my money.. I'm thinking about getting one of those black straps with orange stitching. I'll snap some pics of it with a leather strap, it changes the look of the whole watch.

Did you say battery!!!! :blink: to me this is much worse than cursing in church :(

The only (affordable) battery driven watch I would buy is the Bulova Millennia Grand Complication Repeater

115588-22840.jpg

115588-22841.jpg

and this a genuine watch....but still its cute :)