When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Some Help With A Recently Moded .

2005SUBMARINER

hellow fellow RWG members recently installed a gen crown tube & gen crown .

for those of you who read that tread , saw that a small gap between the new crown & case remained .

i used the same stem with the new set up ..

i noticed that my eta sub stopped 2 times in 24 hours :thumbdown: i had that watch for years & worked excellent , so i know it was something that had to do with my recent mod . :)

if the old stem was to short for the new set up , could that affect the watch in any way ? can that stop the watch from working properly ?

any ideas on what could be the problem ?

i have new gen eta stems i can replace the stem if thats the problem .

the new crown appears to screw in at the power reserve position ..

thanx guys any help is greatly apreciated :victory:

thats why you shouldnt mess with watches, everytime I did it, I had similar problems as you are describing now. Once one of the clamps got lose after some time and jammed the movement, once the crown wouldnt work properly anymore, once I got a little hair into a movement and hat to disassemble some parts, remove the hair, took me at least 15hours to complete the job...

I dont know what it is with watches, but for some reason they tend to have issues fairly easy, if you work on them and are not a watchgod!

thats why you shouldnt mess with watches, everytime I did it, I had similar problems as you are describing now. Once one of the clamps got lose after some time and jammed the movement, once the crown wouldnt work properly anymore, once I got a little hair into a movement and hat to disassemble some parts, remove the hair, took me at least 15hours to complete the job...

I dont know what it is with watches, but for some reason they tend to have issues fairly easy, if you work on them and are not a watchgod!

yea i agree with what your saying , but its a fun hobby for me :thumbsupsmileyanim:

& the only way your gonna get good at this type of work is by practiceing :) ..

i think the stem is the problem here ..

no when the crown in fully screwed in the watch stops about 2 times per day :black_eye:

wierd :unsure:

Errrr... I thought that was what I said?

Crown unscrewed from the tube = runs fine

Crown screwed down to the tube = stops

If that's the symptom, it sounds like the stem is too long, and is binding or pressing against something (maybe the wheel for the center seconds)?

For what it's worth... I've always re-used the same stem as originally came with my watch when swapping crowns/tubes, and haven't had any issues to date. It's possible, however, that the tube you have is too short... I had this problem on one of my old MBW's. I shortened the stem up by a thread or two, and it was just right afterwards...

Errrr... I thought that was what I said?

Crown unscrewed from the tube = runs fine

Crown screwed down to the tube = stops

If that's the symptom, it sounds like the stem is too long, and is binding or pressing against something (maybe the wheel for the center seconds)?

For what it's worth... I've always re-used the same stem as originally came with my watch when swapping crowns/tubes, and haven't had any issues to date. It's possible, however, that the tube you have is too short... I had this problem on one of my old MBW's. I shortened the stem up by a thread or two, and it was just right afterwards...

hey UBI your 100% the dam stem is a lil 2 long , i will shorten it & re-install it :thumbsupsmileyanim:

thanx !

yea i agree with what your saying , but its a fun hobby for me :thumbsupsmileyanim:

& the only way your gonna get good at this type of work is by practiceing :) ..

i think the stem is the problem here ..

i know, and even though i f&$%ed up many watches, I cant leave my finger off the caseback-remover. In the end most of them turned out well, but it took me a lot of time and frustration!

especialy those DAMN case clamps... I'm the type of person that gets really angry if something wont work out after the first 5 trys and evertime I try to install those case clamps, I'm about to destroy something in my house, because it's just a pain in the [censored]!