When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First PAM.....

DocRaph

Well... here we are..

First PAM on my wrist, an 036, care of Cats. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

post-27681-126860677864_thumb.jpg

post-27681-126860682474_thumb.jpg

Amazed by how comfortable it is.

Seems lighter than my Omega Seamaster and a lot lighter than my Seiko Orange Monster!

The strap is a little short, however I'm organising a swap at the moment, and hope to buy a couple from Panatime later this month.

I'm definitely hooked now, and already looking for more..........found another 036, looking at a Vespucci, or maybe a Black Seal....oh dear. :blowup:

Thinks... need to sell swap a couple of gens......addiction setting in..... :whistling:

Cheers, DR

Are you sure that is an 036B? The dial seem to be black, not tobacco (brown). How about a shot of the case back?

I just posted pics of the 036 I've been working on here.

Actually, after taking a second look at it, it looks more like a DSN 040 - due to the infamous DSN flipped pin crown guard.

Drulee, there were a batch of 036's from the dealers that were Black dials.

Sounds like you have the PAM bug now Doc thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The rep dealers, not Panerai. Which means the dealers made the mistake of labeling it with the wrong model number, but it doesn't make in an 036 now does it? :D Kind of like calling a SS cased, blue GMT dialed rep PAM, an 089 :) Better off calling it an 040, at least that one did have a black dial.

As for having the PAM bug, I always did. My reps are 99.2% PAM, and it was a PAM homage that got me into this hobby :)

Any pics of the back, by the way? Is it a display back?

The rep dealers, not Panerai. Which means the dealers made the mistake of labeling it with the wrong model number, but it doesn't make in an 036 now does it? :D Kind of like calling a SS cased, blue GMT dialed rep PAM, an 089 :) Better off calling it an 040, at least that one did have a black dial.

As for having the PAM bug, I always did. My reps are 99.2% PAM, and it was a PAM homage that got me into this hobby :)

Any pics of the back, by the way? Is it a display back?

It looks more like a 036 than a 040 to me....even if the dial is black. There are no 040 with marina militare print on it or with "L SWISS L".

If he called it a 040 I'd say it was reaaallly off.

_15.jpg

Of course it could be a 118 - all that's missing is the LE number on the case back - difference with the 118 is movement is a Swan neck, unlike the 036 which uses the original Unitas shape bridges - don't really mind as I have a project plan for it - more later.

In the meantime I have a possibility of getting a Tobacco faced PAM 036, which is more true to the real deal.

Found a bracelet in my box of bits which I've tried on it.....

post-27681-126867739201_thumb.jpg

At the moment the bracelet is mixed polished and brushed - would be better if I change it to all brushed maybe??

Cheers, DR

It looks more like a 036 than a 040 to me....even if the dial is black. There are no 040 with marina militare print on it or with "L SWISS L".

If he called it a 040 I'd say it was reaaallly off.

Right you are, about the "Marina Militare". But there where some "L Swiss L" 036 dials made (there was a thread about them on WUS).

Still no pics of the caseback and movement? And the pic of the bracelet is very small.

Hey Doc...that looks really great!...and definitely cool to have a unique black dial MM PAM...

and for reference - this isn't a DSN - the dealers, like Josh, etc - sold these 036 kinda models with the crown guard like yours...a simple mod...

wear it well...

R-

Cheers,

I'll add a couple more pics later - sorry about the bracelet pic - made a radical mistake with Paintshop getting it smaller - went tooo far!!!??

Busy getting some pics of a couple of reps ready for the sale area - need to check I didn't make them too small as well - oops!!

Catch you on the rebound...

Cheers, DR

OK,

Here are a few more pics (hopefully I haven't scaled them down too far)...

First, taken by Cats :-

post-27681-126868886014_thumb.jpg

post-27681-126868884047_thumb.jpg

post-27681-126868884969_thumb.jpg

Then with bracelet:-

post-27681-126868960675_thumb.jpg

post-27681-126868961665_thumb.jpg

Right.... off to the sales section....

Cheers for now, DR

What are the tell-tales which differentiate between the Swiss 6497 and Asian version?

I have heard that the Asian is noisier when winding.

This one is sweet as a nut, quiet, keeps time to 5-10 secs a day, and runs for over 2 days on a full wind. :good:

Cheers, DR

Asian 6497 has flared spokes on the balance wheel and "=O=" type notches on the top plate of the balance assembly. The Asian one also usually won't have the ETA logo and 6497-n (1,2) stamped on the base plate just by the balance assembly area. The ETA balance assembly will either be a Novodiac one (solid round plate) or Incabloc (">O=" type notches on the plate), gen has Incabloc. You will also usually get all silver screws with the basic ETA 6497, while the Asian uses blue ones - trying to emulate the gen one, but the gen has silver slots).

If you want to really mod your movement to be more PAM-like, swap the large winding cogs for ones with the sunburst pattern and polished teeth, and swap out the silver screws for blue ones (if you look at my 036B thread, you'll see what I mean).

Cheers,

That was really helpful. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Also read the review on the Asian movement posted by the Zigmeister - nothing is ever as simple as it first appears...

I'm getting another 036 shortly - more like the original with Tobacco face. Don't know what movement yet but the pictures show it looks incredibly like the factory gen pictures.. we'll see - I'll post some pics when I get it next week.

I want to do something different with this PAM and customize it a bit.

Saw a very nice gold plated skeletonized ETA 6497 with blued screws on the ofrei website for a very reasonable price and which would look very nice inside the exhibition back of the PAM.

Fit a nice black alligator strap to match the black face and ...bingo. :good:

At some point it would be nice to find a sandwich dial that I can customize (as per another post I found - this forum continues to astonish me with the depth of articles included!!)

Ah well...

Cheers, DR