When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBK Aquanaut + V2 Cartel Patek Movment?

Guest Sql_pl

Guest Sql_pl

I was always interested in Patek watches, especially Nautilus and Aquanaut.

Aquanaut was always a no-go because of the plain eta that could be seen from behind.

Now there came a wind of hope with introduction of latest so called V2 Jumbo from Cartel:

PP-2010-03-15-08-01.JPG

It comes with silver colored movement and gold rotor in correct PP shape:

PP-2010-03-15-08-05.JPG

4347_P_1263971622795.jpg

Now while this movement is still not identical to genuine, quite far away from gen really I think you can agree it is a great step forward compared to what we got in MBK models:

web-mbk-pp-aquanuat-2008-442.jpg

Here is a gen pic for comparison:

quicklook_image.501096.jpg

But the question is - what do you think about date window on this new V2? Isn't it too small? And I am afraid date font is incorrect...

PP-2010-03-15-08-02.JPG

quicklook_image.501061.jpg

aqua9.jpg

I start to feel the MBK model is much closer in appearance from the front (pics courtesy of Corgi):

dsc00013xsk3.jpg

So maybe putting new Cartel V2 movement into MBK case and transplanting MBK DW with correct font into this new movement is the way to go? The only downside is that MBK is a 38 mm rep...

What do you guys think?

• 5 weeks later...

I got the MBK rep from Reg and I am really happy with it!! Looks are impressive and, as you said the only downside is the movement... an immediate giveaway when seen from behind! But, movement issue apart, I just love the watch!!!

The 38mm is such a classy watch!!!

I got the MBK rep from Reg and I am really happy with it!! Looks are impressive and, as you said the only downside is the movement... an immediate giveaway when seen from behind! But, movement issue apart, I just love the watch!!!

The 38mm is such a classy watch!!!

I agree with snoxx. The 38 is a classy watch which works great with a suit.

I have it and love it (although it doesn't get much wrist time though g.gif )

It's not a "look at me" watch but people will notice it.

About the date window, it seems to me that the date wheel doesn't lign up very well.

If I remember well, the date wheel on my MBK has an over lay glued on it. perhaps its just an alignment issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Even when v2's movement look closer to the patek one, It looks like a seagull eta copy and I don't think that it would be a good idea to change an Eta movement for a Seagull copy. Now if it´s a sellita instead of a Seagull I don't know if the date wheels are interchangeable.

Edited by emuozz

Come on. Who's foolin who?

Both the MBW version and this new 'King' version are plenty close enuf.

I wear the MBW rep model as a daily beater, and I must say it is a great watch....all about fit and feel, isn't it????

The Aquanaut is a great piece. Is the idea here to try and FOOL somebody???

'Rep is just rep' a wise man once said. The best made rep will never be gen.

If you like it, buy it.

Is the idea here to try and FOOL somebody???

No offense but, that's a pretty snobby and dumb supposition, he just wants to make it look as close to gen as possible for his own pleasure, just like a lot of people mod other brands. Sometimes "close enough" is not "good enough" for others, why do you think people mod their reps to begin with? lol

There is free speech and jeff can write what he likes :)

besides that new movement looks a lot better :wub: and i would prefer his cartel rotor just beacuse it is more beautiful to look at..it is a step forward....but then thats just me ;)