When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Whoa! Silver 'Shark on the 'Bay!

Nanuq

A beauty indeed... the really neat part is, a silver Doxa is a Searambler, and a Sharkhunter is a black dialed Doxa. So a SILVER SHARKHUNTER is unheard of. Lani? It's a USD dial too. :whistling:

12690330440003.jpg

I' m sure this one has all the folks over on the Doxa Forum abuzz!! Looking at it , it seems to be a rare bird indeed. Very rare to find one with the original box and papers. The old Doxa owners were mostly Divers who were buying them for a "tool" watch. Probably threw the Box and papers away as soon as they got home from the Dive shop wher thye purchased the watch.

Doxa as some know went through some severe financial problems in the late 60's and early 70's, Thye along with most of the Swiss watch industry were blindsided by the introduction of cheap quartz watches from Japan. Syncron was a consortium of several companies,Doxa,Cyma,Tavannes and Borel that formed Synchron SA. Synchron made some changes to the Doxa and Borel watches, resulting in total incompatibility of parts between the early Sub300T's and the Synchron Sub300T's. During that time quite a few strange variants came out, some of which are just now turning up. Quite a few of these are pictured in Dr. Peter Millar's excellent book "Doxa Sub" "Forty Years 1967-2007. One thing that is apparent to Doxa collectors, if dials were mislabled, like this one, generally they were put on a watch and sent out, I suppose things were so tight, they didn't want to waste anything, or Quality control was so lax that sometimes a variant got by without anyone picking it up. I do know that here have been quite a few strange watches that don't fit into the regular model runs.

This one is up to 1300 USD with 5+ days to go, so I believe It's going to be pretty pricy. Considering it's condition as well as the dial variant and box/papers, it really is a collectors item.

Ending price $3,250 :o

Is this a new high water mark for vintage Doxa? That's more than I paid for my gen 1675 Rolex, less than 5 years ago.

I'm tellin' ya guys, get these things while they're still "cheap".

Ending price $3,250 :o

Is this a new high water mark for vintage Doxa? That's more than I paid for my gen 1675 Rolex, less than 5 years ago.

I'm tellin' ya guys, get these things while they're still "cheap".

That is probably close to the top, I believe a couple of original T-Graphs have sold for prices in that range as well a at least one Conquistador. I don't know if the price for the 200T-Graph that belonged to Gene Cernan was ever published. I'm sure it was pricey, although it sold several years ago before the prices of Doxas took off. It had all the paperwork along with a signed copy of his book "last Man on The Moon". I would imagine if it sold today it would sell in the low 6 figures, but that is a special one of a kind with a known provenience.

I agree, the good ones are getting harder to find and they are getting more expensive. Doxa collectors know that if you buy the ones that are all beat to hell and back, restoring them is a frustrating, lesson in futility for the most part. I know,I've been there, done that and got the T-shirt!! Just try finding the correct bezel, with about 30+ variations, no model numbers, just buy and pray. That bezel I sent to lani was a real long shot, and it worked. I had tried it on 4 different Doxas of mine and the only one it fit had an almost perfect bezel already, it wasn't even close with the three that needed a new bezel.I learned that it was better to spend a little more money and get one that was in good shape from the get go, rather that end up being frustrated over non-existent parts