When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Heading to Malaysia

Hi, This is not exactly what you might think from the title....

I'm heading to Malaysia over Easter and know they have a 'street fake' trade so I have a question for people who may have traveled there or info from locals would be great! I'll spend a few nights in KL before heading off to an Island resort.

My big question is - should I take reps? Even though I will arrive with them... will customs leaving (or arriving back in Aus) be a problem for me given the well known counterfeit trade there? Not watches I buy there, watches I take with me.

Of course, I also wonder if there are any good reps to find. I will have a little look while there but am happy with my dealer here.

Last year I traveled with reps to NZ and Japan no probs, but these countries aren't known for counterfeit trade.

Thanks for any advice!

:)

I went to KL about a month ago and brought 8 reps back into Oz without problems. Going into Malaysia will not be a problem because customs is very informal (similar to singapore).

The reps were bought in China town and they where definately cheaper than the online dealers. The bonus was that I was able to inspect each watch before handing over the cash and see all the different makes and models.

In China town the good stuff is kept in cases and not all of it is good, so you have to know your stuff. Also the dealers are reluctant for you to troll thru all their stock (it will take hours) unless you are a genuine buyer, so you need to establish a repore.

MD

PS Take AUD cash with you and exchange there. YOu will save about 10% on the change. I think you can take AUD10k without issue.

Edited by mad dawg

Thanks for all the info guys! Very much appreciated! :)

Mad dawg - did you buy your duty free (grog and cigs) on the way in, leaving Aus or on arrival in KL ? In Japan you can't buy Duty free as you arrive and I heard KL customs were tough on this on this as well. Would prefer to buy cigs at their end as you can no longer buy my preferred brand in Aus (white butted, old recipe Malboro lights). I have an hour layover in Sing, perhaps i can buy the good malboro's there?

ongck77 - I'd be keen to catch up for sure, maybe you know the markets or some cool stuff to do (im 37 years old, but much younger at heart)?

Oh and mad dog. Got any shots of the reps you bought? Would be interested to see the qual. I'm expecting indo style street fakes - or what they call "canal street" quality around here...

Any other info from anyone would be great. I've been to Sing a few times, so I know how to mind my manners around this part of the world but realise the there will be differences...

Haven't decided what watches to take, thinking just taking (gasp!) one - either one of my fave reps, the ziggified perfect 10 DSSD or SOH non chrono on mesh, or gen moonwatch, or gen Loyal brand swiss ceramic, or maybe even just an Orange Monster; in case i do go mad in china town. hehe..

I'm getting really excited!

:D

M,

I didn't buy any duty free going into KL. Dunno about grog but, I exepect cigs will be very cheap in KL.

As I said, if you know your stuff you will find something good. There is plenty of inaccurate reps in between the good ones. Remember most of the shops are group owned where an owner has 2or3or4 shops under his/her control.

The G-Shock cost AUD3. Had to have it for cycling and running.

IMG_0492b.jpg

Out of all the reps in Chinatown, the Pams are pretty good as they are quite accurate and easier to rep. Some tags are good and some of the subs too but be weary of the movements. I would definitely buy all my duty free alcohol and cigarettes at the KL airport (KLIA). Much cheaper than Oz. I dare say you will enjoy the chinatown experience.

http://www.malaysia-maps.com/kl/bukitbintang-map.htm

If you refer to the map, head to Cangkat Bukit Bintang and this is where you will find the cool bars and pubs. This runs perpendicular to Jalan Bukit Bintang and Jalan Alor (Food stalls) starts from Cangkat Bukit Bintang. So in this area you will find the best shopping, best food and best nightlife. Have fun guys. I will be heading there either in Sept or Nov.

Besides rep watches, there are plenty of good foods around China town.

You can shop around without obligation, so long don't negotiate the price if you are not seriously buying. They can become mad sometimes if you walk off without transact. :bicycle:

I learned this lesson the hard way a long time ago on Lombok when I was young (and was nearly killed for it).

;)

OK, this place is full of fake watches. Been here all of 10 hours and seen a lot of fake watches - and this is the high end of town even (i think - staying at the 5 star Novotel city centre).

Went out for late night walk when I got here and the only thing they seem to have more of than watches are "massage parlours".

I'm here on on hols, so not really interested in shopping for street fakes, but I am going to chase down that new style Pam bracelet mad dawg posted above.

Will post pics and mini review if I find it.

OK, this place is full of fake watches. Been here all of 10 hours and seen a lot of fake watches - and this is the high end of town even (i think - staying at the 5 star Novotel city centre).

Went out for late night walk when I got here and the only thing they seem to have more of than watches are "massage parlours".

I'm here on on hols, so not really interested in shopping for street fakes, but I am going to chase down that new style Pam bracelet mad dawg posted above.

Will post pics and mini review if I find it.

Hi MM,

Good to hear that you are enjoing KL!

Me and the lovlet wife are going there in a couple of weeks.

Any major things to know?

Tnx

Edwin

Hey MM. Glad to hear you are enjoying KL. Jalan Kia Peng where the Novotel is located is notorious for the massage palours and late night pick up bars. Its still however, close to all the action. Just be careful as that area is a hangout for a number of heavies. Also, if you are interested you should visit Low Yat Plaza on Jalan Bukit Bintang. This is a mecca of computer hardware and software and also mobile phones. This place is aimed at PC users and you will find the lates software at a fraction of the price.

And don't forget to sample the food on Jalan Alor. KLCC (Twin Towers) is worth having a wander through too.

Thanks for more tips MJ, and Edwin will shoot you some info (i've been here thsn 24hrs atm). but...

Got the bracelet (with watch attached heh). Must say, the bracelet is very good quality. Probably better qual than the old style one available from our dealers. Needs a lube of course.

This watch, which I assume is a fantasy, had a price tag of 2998MYR (906USD). After much haggling I got it for 340MYR (not a typo - 103USD). LOL. Even though I bought it just for the bracelet as this was thge only one that had it. It's good! It

post-23858-126986711886_thumb.jpg

post-23858-126986713735_thumb.jpg

post-23858-126986718788_thumb.jpg

post-23858-126986726697_thumb.jpg

ps:

I booked the hotel the Royale Bintang, which is on the main road of Jalan Bukit Bintang next to the Low Yat Plaza.

My travel-agent can give me that for a real good deal (44 euro's for a night 2 persons inc breakfast)

E.

Thats a really good rate.

Also, heavies= triad type people

Thanks for more tips MJ, and Edwin will shoot you some info (i've been here thsn 24hrs atm). but...

Got the bracelet (with watch attached heh). Must say, the bracelet is very good quality. Probably better qual than the old style one available from our dealers. Needs a lube of course.

This watch, which I assume is a fantasy, had a price tag of 2998MYR (906USD). After much haggling I got it for 340MYR (not a typo - 103USD). LOL. Even though I bought it just for the bracelet as this was thge only one that had it. It's good! It's an auto which I think is a 2813, has a smooth sweep. Has sapphire crystal on front, mineral on back. The GMT works perfectly and sets by winding backwards on the date setting. I have it set to KL time and home time.

If this happens to be not fantasy, The watch itself is definitely on par with the $300+ ones from our dealers.

Here's some pics:

And here's what happens when the cops come... the scatter hahah

MM, great job on the haggling. These guys have a selective markup system depending on who is looking to buy. And they have a tried and tested system now in evading the cops. Keep enjoying.

• 3 months later...

I'm currently in Malaysia for vac'tacion. Last week I was in KL and bought this SMP on Petaleng Street. I asked around foor swiss quality, best quality etc., but I wasn't offered anything better. This one is not the best, the bezel and pearl aren't great, neither is the dial. And I'm sure the movement is crappy, I haven't seen the inside. BUT: it has sapphyre chrystal, the case, caseback and crown is good AND it has a great bracelet and clasp. I paid RM 170, wich is about EUR 42 or $ 55. What do you guys think?

PS Any suggestions from Malay members on how to get the real good stuff? I'l be back in KL this week! Off to the pool now.. :-)

post-27496-064422800 1279422523.jpg

post-27496-047934900 1279422541.jpg

post-27496-026665000 1279422558.jpg

post-27496-037310200 1279422578.jpg

post-27496-060606200 1279422602.jpg