When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam111h - Asian Vs Swiss Unitas Cosmetic Issue

310jag

On my now 2+ month search for a Pam111h, I've come to what hopefully isn't a dead end. I haven't been too picky about this one. There's only one thing that I've wanted to get right from the start. The blue "OFFICINE PANERAI" lettering on the back of the movement.

It all started when I bought and Asian 6497 one from a well known dealer here. The watch arrived in a timely manner, but the lettering on the movement was crooked. Not just "crooked," but really, really bad. Only the first two letters of each word were lined up, and after that, it looked as if they were each applied by hand. I emailed my dealer, explained the problem, and told me to send the watch back for an exchange. I sent it back, and waited. At last, the relacement arrived. But, not only was lettering on this one crooked, but it was JUST as bad as the first! This one was also sent with a black strap, when I requested a brown one (which the first one did come with). Obviously this watch wasn't inspected for it was sent, being that I specifically asked that the replacement have nice lettering. So once again, I emailed the dealer, and he told me to send it back for a refund. I happily obliged.

After that, I ordered one from another dealer. My usual dealer that I've never had a problem with, even after numerous transactions. This watch (now the 3rd) arrives, and you guessed it, the letters are crooked. But not crooked like the first two. One this one, all the letters are aligned nicely with eachother, but the whole application of them runs downhill from left to right. So I emailed the dealer, told him the problem, and he says to send it back for an exchange.

Now, here is my question. Does anyone have an Asian Unitas 6497 Pam111h with lettering on the movement that is STRAIGHT and properly aligned, or is it a production issue with the asian versions that causes these letters to be crooked on all of them? Also, the wording on the Swiss unitas versions appears to be applied in a different manner. Should I send my asian version back, send addition funds, and have a swiss one sent, or try my luck with another asian?

Here are a couple pictures of Asian and Swiss versions, respectively. Please let me know what you guys think, it is much appreciated!

Asian

116018-22709.jpg

Swiss

116018-22710.jpg

Edit: The above image crops were taken from images on josh's website because they were the best I could find, and, because, well, josh rocks. :)

Edited by 310jag

Everythingape, that's actually the nicest one I've seen! I do think that the asian version looks more correct, however. If I could get one that looks as good as that, hell, I'd be happy as a clam. The second "A" in Panerai looks a little rotated, but that's just about as crooked as the straightest letters on the watches I've had! :bleh:

Happy to hear that, 310jag, I must admit I have a hard time separating it from some of the genuine ones one ebay (if they in fact are genuine), the raised letters and the crown give it away I guess, but I could not be happier with a watch at this price.

Hiya,

Eddie Lee might have just solved your problem with his latest 111H, see the link below:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=11366

This is the 'next' generation Asian/Chinese Unitas 6497, extremely hard to diferentiate by a naked untrained eye from the original ETA 6497.

Not only they did away with the blue sticky plastic Officine Panerai letters on the bridge (they're now engraved like on the Swiss ETA), but they finally decorated both winding wheels with beveled edges like Swiss, as well as included a nice bonus - working swan-neck movement !

I don't know about you, but in my books this is as good as it gets in Asian 6497 with CDG, swan-neck etc...

...and at the price of just over $240 delivered - I wouldn't wait too long (well, if I didn't already buy Eddie's 111H with Swiss ETA, that is) :-)

enjoy,

babola

Edited by babola

my asian 6497's lettering is crooked as hell, and I have thought about lining them, but I did not think it was possible, cause I am afraid of breaking the actual letters. Does anyone had any tutorial on how to do this, and what tools would one use to correct the alignment of the letters.....any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm sure the big tool for this job would be patience. I would image the case back would need to be removed, and through the use of a very small flat too (.5mm screwdriver?) or even a needle of some sort the letters could be popped off the movement and removed with tweezers or some gentle, not too sticky or a tape (perhaps a small piece of the blue painters tape from 3M?). I'm not sure what glue should be used on something this small and delicate.. Probably the same glue used for re-applying markers (super glue?) But over gluing and seepage from underneath the letters could cause more of the problem than the original crooked letters posed to begin with! :bangin:

Aligning them would be difficult as well, with each being done by hand. Again, I think patience would be the biggest obsticle to work against.

I have a 111h asian from trusty. I looked at the lettering, for the first time, now that i've read this post. Mine appears pretty straight. Now I didn't look through any magnification or loupe, but to the naked eye all appears straight. Lucky??? Are you guys saying that from normal viewing they are obviously crooked? I personally wouldn't fret too much it is on the backside of the watch, but i can understand it being annoying.