When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Suggestion on a pam project?

hon30

Hi RWG, i am thinking of making an affordable rep pam. to start off i have a 6497 asian movement that i want to use and will be getting a 44mm Getat case. my question is.. what base model of pam is the easiest to make? meaning affordable but nice parts for dial, hands and solid case back since i am only using an undecorated asian movm't? suggestions is highly appreciated. and if you could post pics i would be grateful. thanks in advance!

Edited by hon30

002 is the easiest get an A or B caseback and Dial from DSN. They do come up for sale every now and then in the trade section.

Otherwise 112 G on a sausage or H on a sandwich both Display backs though.

With the Getat case its worth paying extra, 15$ I think, for the better crystal.

I'm wearing my getat based 2 today. They look the business.

Have fun on the build

002 is the easiest get an A or B caseback and Dial from DSN. They do come up for sale every now and then in the trade section.

Otherwise 112 G on a sausage or H on a sandwich both Display backs though.

With the Getat case its worth paying extra, 15$ I think, for the better crystal.

I'm wearing my getat based 2 today. They look the business.

Have fun on the build

Thank you for the suggestion. any pics? also where can i get a dial and hands if i do not see one on the trade section?

Edited by hon30

Thank you for the suggestion. any pics? also where can i get a dial and hands if i do not see one on the trade section?

Even though they cost more than watchs built from rep parts, frankens are a much better deal--the effort is the same and you will end up with a watch that easily passes as gen 99% of the time at 1/3 the very cheapest you can get a used gen.

To build a franken I would reccomend:

A good handwind case and xtal either from ebay or the trading area-$100-$200

A good crown guard, which should be modded in the standard ways. If you can find one, I am partial to the Cg's found on the cartel's "Ultimates" (88,63 etc) which you can often find in the trading area as folks upgrade to jimmyfus and gens. $30-60

Gen 113/111/112/ dial (the dial makes far and away the biggest difference. In fact, IMO if you're not going to use a gen dial, you might as well save the money and just wear a stock rep since the flaws on the rep dial will be noticed long before any other rep-part flaws. $400-600.

Rep hands to match dial $75

Accurate solid caseback $25-100

T48 crown, or if you are a stickler for 1:1 functionality rather than appearance only, a gen. $25-200

AR removed ot added (chief single sided) as the watch requires (a-c series PAMs=no AR/all later PAMS single sided AR) free-$45

A Gen strap is the easiest way to improve a rep or franken $75 and up.

Lume notwithstanding, labor from a competent smith should cost no more than $100, probably less.

Even though they cost more than watchs built from rep parts, frankens are a much better deal--the effort is the same and you will end up with a watch that easily passes as gen 99% of the time at 1/3 the very cheapest you can get a used gen.

To build a franken I would reccomend:

A good handwind case and xtal either from ebay or the trading area-$100-$200

A good crown guard, which should be modded in the standard ways. If you can find one, I am partial to the Cg's found on the cartel's "Ultimates" (88,63 etc) which you can often find in the trading area as folks upgrade to jimmyfus and gens. $30-60

Gen 113/111/112/ dial (the dial makes far and away the biggest difference. In fact, IMO if you're not going to use a gen dial, you might as well save the money and just wear a stock rep since the flaws on the rep dial will be noticed long before any other rep-part flaws. $400-600.

Rep hands to match dial $75

Accurate solid caseback $25-100

T48 crown, or if you are a stickler for 1:1 functionality rather than appearance only, a gen. $25-200

AR removed ot added (chief single sided) as the watch requires (a-c series PAMs=no AR/all later PAMS single sided AR) free-$45

A Gen strap is the easiest way to improve a rep or franken $75 and up.

Lume notwithstanding, labor from a competent smith should cost no more than $100, probably less.

+1... been there, done that, totally agree :)