When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Smp Gmt Rep Vs. Omega Smp Gen

WackoBirdKeeper

I know that this is like comparing apples to oranges since one watch is an SMP GEN and the other is a SMP GMT rep. But, I spent $850.00 on the gen as a used watch. The rep goes for in the neighborhood of $100.00. So, what exactly does $750.00 USD buy?????

Let's take a look:

116055-22678.jpg

The first part of a watch we see is the dial and the face, so here are both side by side.

The cases are VERY close. They damn near match up perfectly. The dials are also pretty close (despite the differences). The screening is sharp on both, and the wave patterns look great on both. The bezel insets are different, but that is due to the model differences. As always, the gen has it with the bezel pearl. Also, the bezel is a bit more rounded on the edges, but that would not be apparent unless these two watches were side by side.

Now, the BIG difference is with the lume. In the dark, the ORG glows like it is radioactive. My SMP has one of the brightest lumes I have ever seen. It even out lumes my Seiko Orange Monster.

116055-22679.jpg

The next comparison is with the bracelet links. They are VERY VERY close. The rep is still in the plastic, and my org has been around a few years, and it shows the wear. Although you can't see it in this picture, the rep's links are noticably thicker.

116055-22680.jpg

The clasps are also close, but the org has a much deeper lettering. Also, the "feel" of the org is much better. On the org, the divers explansion locks into place much more securely.

116055-22681.jpg

The case backs are very close. Note, here you can see the difference in the thickness of the links.

So, what does $750.00 buy you???? Well, I would not take the rep diving, and I know that the org is sealed like fort knox. I have had it underwater many times with no ill effect. I do doubt I'll ever go down to the rated 300m. Still, if I did, it would be reassuring to know that my watch would still be working when they dredged my dead body up. And, of course, there is a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that I have a real Omega on my wrist. I must like it a lot, since I own three Omega orgs.

I know that this is like comparing apples to oranges since one watch is an SMP GEN and the other is a SMP GMT rep. But, I spent $850.00 on the gen as a used watch. The rep goes for in the neighborhood of $100.00. So, what exactly does $750.00 USD buy?????

Let's take a look:

116619-22551.jpg

The first part of a watch we see is the dial and the face, so here are both side by side.

The cases are VERY close. They damn near match up perfectly. The dials are also pretty close (despite the differences). The screening is sharp on both, and the wave patterns look great on both. The bezel insets are different, but that is due to the model differences. As always, the gen has it with the bezel pearl. Also, the bezel is a bit more rounded on the edges, but that would not be apparent unless these two watches were side by side.

Now, the BIG difference is with the lume. In the dark, the ORG glows like it is radioactive. My SMP has one of the brightest lumes I have ever seen. It even out lumes my Seiko Orange Monster.

116619-22552.jpg

The next comparison is with the bracelet links. They are VERY VERY close. The rep is still in the plastic, and my org has been around a few years, and it shows the wear. Although you can't see it in this picture, the rep's links are noticably thicker.

116619-22553.jpg

The clasps are also close, but the org has a much deeper lettering. Also, the "feel" of the org is much better. On the org, the divers explansion locks into place much more securely.

116619-22554.jpg

The case backs are very close. Note, here you can see the difference in the thickness of the links.

So, what does $750.00 buy you???? Well, I would not take the rep diving, and I know that the org is sealed like fort knox. I have had it underwater many times with no ill effect. I do doubt I'll ever go down to the rated 300m. Still, if I did, it would be reassuring to know that my watch would still be working when they dredged my dead body up. And, of course, there is a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that I have a real Omega on my wrist. I must like it a lot, since I own three Omega orgs.

Nice comparsion, thanks. I too have the GMT rep, it is an awesome watch, maybe the best buy out here for $108. Agree with your observations, especially with respect to the bracelet. Also, the placement of trhe HE valve is a bit off. Otherwise, this is an awesome rep