When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The new 116610 and future price expectations of used gen Subs

metaljesus

With the intro of the new fugly ceramic 116610, it seems to me to be a safe bet that the value of used 16610s will rise quite a bit in the next year or so.

1 - The new model retails at £4610 while the 16610 is £3840. So the price of the most similar 'new' model has just gone up (and quite a bit), the prices you'd expect people to pay who are looking to save money buying used vs new will be higher.

2 - The new model has a ridiculous chunky shape and maxi dial. Which is good for 16610 owners because their watch now looks even more classic and desirable.

3 - Now the 16610 is discontinued it'll have slightly more appeal to collectors for that reason.

What are people's thoughts? I've only had an interest in watches for about 2 years now, so I'm no expert. I'm only really thinking about this is I recently picked up a used gen 16610, and although I didn’t get it as an investment piece its still nice to know I could sell it in 5 years for a nice profit.

IMHO it will take a very long time to profit on these, there are so many of these subs in existence and alot of the people buying the new case version in the next few years will dump there old one, sea dweller prices seem to be going no where yet after 2 years and theres supposed to be around 10x less of them than subs

Considering that it took the DRSD 1665 and Red Sub 1680 until the late 1980's to start really appreciating and not until the 1990's when the Dot com craze created a lot of "instant" wealth, did they really take off. Of course by then, there were very few really nice ones around, especially complete sets with boxes, papers, etc. Will be same but slower for the newer subs

It's going to be a case of supply and demand. Thousands more of the 116610's are around, so they aren't going to appreciate like their older brothers. You may see some price increases, but that will be due to the entire market trending up, like the price increase from 2009 to 2010 with the new model.

If your buying as and investment, it's probably not one that your broker would recommend, and if you buy it and stick it in a safe, your not going to get any enjoyment out of it at all. If you buy it to wear, and you take care of it, it will probably be worth almost what you paid for it in 5 years