When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need some help - Prob with first Rep

gtanak

Hi guys,

Just received my first rep today and to my dismay, there was a very audible rattling sound when i shook the watch to get the movement going. Haven't even unwrapped the plastic etc. Watch came well packed bubble wrapped etc in box. Can any one please tell me the problem with the watch? The dealer says it may be the rotor whirling sound of an automatic watch. Any opinions or advice? Youtube video link is attached with sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCCA9TcDnWQ

Thanks

Couldnt see the video

BTW wath kind of watches have you had in the past gtanak ? Quartz? Automatic? Kinetic? Handwind?

:g:

Have a genuine Rolex Precision 6694, Citizen Skyhawk titanium, hand wound Pam Radomir BlackSeal and Vacheron. Gran, thanks for reply, can you clarify why you can't view the video? Is the link dead or you're unable to go to Youtube? The sound is a metal knocking metal rattling sound much like a baby toy rattler coming from the case back when i shake the watch

"This video is not yet processed"

Thanks for reply. I can view it in Youtube, and when i search for it, it comes out and is viewable. No problems viewing from my wife's laptop as well. Will try posting it using my laptop instead of iphone.

Please try this link and tell me if it works and your opinions thanks!!

Full youtube link to cut and paste into browser incase first link is dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCCA9TcDnWQ

Thanks in advance guys

yeah it does sound a little too noicy almost as if it is a little too loose....maybe The Zigmeister would be alble to tell how bad it really is directly from your video

Almost sounds like the rotor is loose or has maybe even fallen off. Five minute job to remove the case back have a look.

Got to be a loose rotor, loose movement, loose case clamp. Probably not a big thing.

i think you are right i have had this happen a couple of times even with etas the rotor came off i put it back on no problem

i think you are right i have had this happen a couple of times even with etas the rotor came off i put it back on no problem

I have zero experience opening watches. Is securing the rotor a complex thing to do and will it come off again? Dealer has finally offered me xchange but I have to pay for shipping back to him. Watch is otherwise perfect, can someone shed some light as to wheher it's better to keep it and fix it myself?

I have zero experience opening watches. Is securing the rotor a complex thing to do and will it come off again? Dealer has finally offered me xchange but I have to pay for shipping back to him. Watch is otherwise perfect, can someone shed some light as to wheher it's better to keep it and fix it myself?

Securing the rotor is easy to do with the correct tools. At the very least, you will need a precision screwdriver, a pair of very fine tweezers or tic removers, surgical gloves, and regular dishwashing gloves.

Put on the dishwashing gloves, and with your thumbs, apply pressure in a counter-clockwise direction. Might feel like you're going to rip the pads away from the thumb bed, but keep with it, and the caseback will loosen enough to remove (obviously stop if you are going to injure yourself :D ) The rotor attaches to the center of the movement with a small screw. Swap your gloves for the surgical ones to prevent the oils from your fingers getting on the movement, use the tweezers to put the screw back into place once you have properly aligned the rotor, and then tighten the screw. Swap back to the dishwashing gloves, and, making sure that the o-ring is in place to provide a watertight seal, replace the caseback and use thumb pressure to rotate the caseback until you can't move it any more (for fear of ripping thumbnails off again) and you should then be good to go :victory:

Securing the rotor is easy to do with the correct tools. At the very least, you will need a precision screwdriver, a pair of very fine tweezers or tic removers, surgical gloves, and regular dishwashing gloves.

Put on the dishwashing gloves, and with your thumbs, apply pressure in a counter-clockwise direction. Might feel like you're going to rip the pads away from the thumb bed, but keep with it, and the caseback will loosen enough to remove (obviously stop if you are going to injure yourself :D ) The rotor attaches to the center of the movement with a small screw. Swap your gloves for the surgical ones to prevent the oils from your fingers getting on the movement, use the tweezers to put the screw back into place once you have properly aligned the rotor, and then tighten the screw. Swap back to the dishwashing gloves, and, making sure that the o-ring is in place to provide a watertight seal, replace the caseback and use thumb pressure to rotate the caseback until you can't move it any more (for fear of ripping thumbnails off again) and you should then be good to go :victory:

Thanks for reply Teejay. Ended up sending the watch right back to dealer 1 day after receiving it. Didn't want to mess up opening the watch and dealer not giving me an exchange. Hope the replacement comes in good condition though. Gonna start experimenting on my other old watches lying around though, wish me luck!

Thanks for reply Teejay. Ended up sending the watch right back to dealer 1 day after receiving it. Didn't want to mess up opening the watch and dealer not giving me an exchange. Hope the replacement comes in good condition though. Gonna start experimenting on my other old watches lying around though, wish me luck!

No worries, I'm glad to be of help :) Totally fair enough if you wanted to send it back if you were out of your comfort zone with opening the caseback, and I must admit, I killed a couple of movements myself before I got the hang of adjusting the timing properly, so it really is just a case of progressing at your own rate, and learning as you go :):victory: