When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

More expensive brand = better service ?

I would like to share my recent experience with a famous brand's watch service center.

I own a vintage Piaget automatic with a 18J movement, recently I took it to Mas Schweizer Swiss Watch Service in Australia to get it service and repair a stuck in the "second hand", this happened after I took a short trip to Hong Kong (seems it is the air trip caused the problem). It turns out, the repair center said they do not have the correct parts so they need to out source the repair, I asked whether they can send it back to Swiss main factory, they said they will consider it. At last, it turns out they send it to a NZ watchsmith, they changed my crown with a smilar parts (90% similar), I requested a refund or re-repair the dealer declined.

While 5 years ago, my vintage IWC also have similar problem, the local dealer, Watch of Swissland could not reapir it and sent it back to Swiss factory to do the repair with the correct parts. IWC Swiss end up charging me a crazy bill as they did some extra jobs that I did not request (as well as Australian custom charge me 10% duty for my own watch when shipping it back) but I am happy for the end result.

My vintage Piaget may not worth a million dollar, but it still worth a lot in many people's standard. If after I pay such a price I cannot enjoy a life time customer service, I will never buy that brand again.

It is not the problem of money, we love our watch because its workmanship, I never consider it as an investment. It is an artwork, what Piaget's dealer did is damaged their own piece of artwork.

My opinion is before you choice to buy a gen watch in a country, you better check the service center or dealer's reputation.

That is also the reason why I now switching to good rep watches like those from wm9 or BK, at least they care about their products and reputation, a nice rep watch is still a piece of fine art, worth our respect.

Sorry that I am quite upset on my "damaged" watch, so the post may be subjective :wounded1:

Edited by 709394

I have a similar story with Omega.

Omega's service here in Aus is ridiculously poor. No work is actually done in the country. My last experience using Omega's service was an unfunny comedy (tragedy?) of errors taking nearly four months to reinstall a loose chrono hand on a 2004 Moon watch - the same chrono hand, not a new one. The watch went went to three different countries and was at one stage returned with the hand still loose - but with the watch polished! Of course I was charged for all this uneeded work and travel.

I now use one of Australia's best (if not the best) Horologists for all my high end gen work. He is known throughout the southern hemisphere. He understands the art, as you say, of good watches. He is in Brisbane and I swear by him. In fact I would personally garantee his work! I don't get him to do lower end stuff though, wouldn't dream of it.

If you want/need his details I can give them to you in about a week as I'm overseas atm.

I would like to share my recent experience with a famous brand's watch service center.

I own a vintage Piaget automatic with a 18J movement, recently I took it to Mas Schweizer Swiss Watch Service in Australia to get it service and repair a stuck in the "second hand", this happened after I took a short trip to Hong Kong (seems it is the air trip caused the problem). It turns out, the repair center said they do not have the correct parts so they need to out source the repair, I asked whether they can send it back to Swiss main factory, they said they will consider it. At last, it turns out they send it to a NZ watchsmith, they changed my crown with a smilar parts (90% similar), I requested a refund or re-repair the dealer declined.

While 5 years ago, my vintage IWC also have similar problem, the local dealer, Watch of Swissland could not reapir it and sent it back to Swiss factory to do the repair with the correct parts. IWC Swiss end up charging me a crazy bill as they did some extra jobs that I did not request (as well as Australian custom charge me 10% duty for my own watch when shipping it back) but I am happy for the end result.

My vintage Piaget may not worth a million dollar, but it still worth a lot in many people's standard. If after I pay such a price I cannot enjoy a life time customer service, I will never buy that brand again.

It is not the problem of money, we love our watch because its workmanship, I never consider it as an investment. It is an artwork, what Piaget's dealer did is damaged their own piece of artwork.

My opinion is before you choice to buy a gen watch in a country, you better check the service center or dealer's reputation.

That is also the reason why I now switching to good rep watches like those from wm9 or BK, at least they care about their products and reputation, a nice rep watch is still a piece of fine art, worth our respect.

Sorry that I am quite upset on my "damaged" watch, so the post may be subjective :wounded1:

That is a shame. A boutique brand should take your watch in like a lost piece of family, pamper you, then stick you with a bill. Like a Four Seasons hotel. Piaget, eh? We may not be the biggest watch forum out there, but i'd recon that didnt help Piaget much. :whistling:

Im sorry to hear this but I have heard these horror stories before. It's a shame to spend thousands of dollars on a high end timepiece and IN Return get shity service, not exceptable :thumbdown: It's true that reps dont have much In the way of CS but then again were not spending thousands on one watch. Thanks for sharing your experence with us :) Mike

Anytime I read any of the genuine watch forums I'm amazed by how many similar stories there are out there, and its often the most expensive brands having these issues. I guess the whole business model is based on getting these over priced thing out there and marketing them into buyers hands.. and of course getting the money. After sales service just doesn't bring in the margins in comparison.

Hopefully the recession might wake a few of these guys up a little. A drop in demand might also free up some of the better watchmakers for the service department instead of all hands on deck making new models as quick as you can.