When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need some help with 1665 GW options

bwhitesox

Guys I have listed my Panerai 201a up for trade and I'm hoping to get a modded 1665 great white in return.

The problem I'm facing is I don't know anything regarding Rolex watches at all so I don't know what to look for when possible trades come in.

From what I have gathered from searching here the early MBW or Kenzo/Watchmaster would be the best base watch and then built from there with gen crown/tube, insert/pearl and Tropic 39.

Also there is puretimes one that would only cost me a couple of hundred..Would this be any good??

http://www.puretimewatch.com/index.php?productID=2356

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

The pure time GWSD does not have the correct dial. As you can see the L of the Rolex does not line up with the Coronet. This is the first tell. The L should line up with the coronet and this is evident in the MBW versions.

The pure time GWSD does not have the correct dial. As you can see the L of the Rolex does not line up with the Coronet. This is the first tell. The L should line up with the coronet and this is evident in the MBW versions.

I disagree with the 'L' always being centered under the coronet- a number of the 70's vintage Rolex dials had the 'L' left of center

1680sub2.jpg

But I don't like the narrow 6 and 9 markers and the yellow lume isn't to my liking either on the PT Gw 1665 dial. I put the MBW GW dial on my PT sub, and it turned out OK, with one exception, the PT DW sits slightly inside the MBW date window.

P1000285-2.jpg

The problem is, both watches have their faults, but the PT does correct some of the faults and is quite a bit more reasonably priced. The PT GWSD has a better insert, better DW, a 2846-2, and a good 93150 bracelet, albeit w/ 580 ends and not 585's (minimally acceptable- some early DRSD's came w/ 580 ends). I installed a gen crown and tube on mine- rep crown was too big, and I still need to trim the crown guards some more.

The important thing to remember is, 'a rep is always a rep'. Even if you buy an MBW and spend another $300-400 fixing it up, it's still just a rep. You could build a franken for $2000-3000 and it's still just a franken. So you just have to decide how much do you really want to spend. For the $350 I spent on mt PT GWSD, it's not bad, but it's never going to be perfect, but I also don't want to spend $10K on a gen!

Given the quality and time you have spent on your 201A you will clearly want the older MBW. The fun part is you just add gen parts as you come upon them. The only downside is you start at $400 or whatever and by the time you are done with crown, tube, springbars, crystal and maybe dial you are over $1,000. :lol:

It's amazing how a day of reading and searching on here can get a person up to speed...I'm now considered slightly dangerous when it comes to Rolex's LOL

Thanks for everyone's help, Especially Kruzer who has been gracious in answering a few PM's from me.