When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need help to choose 1st Rep GMT

fred7777

Hello to all,

I would like to buy a GMT model that is ready to wear and use without any MODs. I also have a real Oris TT1 blue diver and I am wondering if it is fair to compare the quality of this watch to my first REP GMT? I also have read alot on different MOD you can do and the differences of GMT models so after a while its gets confusing. I also read that sewing machine oil is recommended to lube up the links of a new GMT, but can I use a different oil to do this and does anyone have any opinions on this as well. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Fred,

If your looking for a Rolex Pepsi GMT, I would look at The one offered by BK's Watch Garage. According to By-Tor, his is the best available. He mods the base watch, and corrects most of the problems. So when you recieve it, except for the incorrect hand stack movement, which unless you take the watch off and examine it closely, you would never know, it's the best "out the Box". I would bet that 99.9% of the Rolex experts don't know the hand stack order of the genuine 16710, unless they own a genuine themselves. It doesn't bother me in the least.

Here is the link to BK's page here, he is a trusted dealer. BK GMT II

I would echo what Panerai said. If BK's price is beyond your means, you might try looking at what Joshua has to offer. By-Tor reviewed a GMT that both Joshua and Andrew offered and the review was relatively complementary. Regardless of who you end up buying from, DO NOT BUY THE MODEL WITH THE CORRECT HAND STACK. Those watches have been a bit of a nightmare. A nightmare, that is, if you actually expect the damn thing to work.

+1 on the bk gmt. here's mine and i love it:

i recommend a vac lume and gen crown/tube set up. or closer to gen. :victory:

Wow! that is great! love it! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

post-27689-127101540614_thumb.jpgI recently received a BK GMT Master II black insert model and it is excellent - you will not regret it. The best mod for my money is that BK recesses the insert in the bezel a little and this is great. The biggest tell for me is the crown, but this can easily be replaced if you wish to add more dollars.

On the wrist in daily use, who will tell?

I have linked a pic of mine (top)and a pic of a gen (below)! :good:

post-27689-127101553005_thumb.jpg

post-27689-127101540614_thumb.jpgI recently received a BK GMT Master II black insert model and it is excellent - you will not regret it. The best mod for my money is that BK recesses the insert in the bezel a little and this is great. The biggest tell for me is the crown, but this can easily be replaced if you wish to add more dollars.

On the wrist in daily use, who will tell?

I have linked a pic of mine (top)and a pic of a gen (below)! :good:

post-27689-127101553005_thumb.jpg

nice watch -

but do yoursels a fav and throw this horrible insert away - this screeeeems fake ;)

gen inserts are cheap in easy to get.

cheers,

Frank

I would echo what Panerai said. If BK's price is beyond your means, you might try looking at what Joshua has to offer. By-Tor reviewed a GMT that both Joshua and Andrew offered and the review was relatively complementary. Regardless of who you end up buying from, DO NOT BUY THE MODEL WITH THE CORRECT HAND STACK. Those watches have been a bit of a nightmare. A nightmare, that is, if you actually expect the damn thing to work.

THX so much for that tip!