When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I finally have my holy grail!

sander

Guest Sql_pl

That's interesting.

Dial is 100% genuine with silver number outlines and correct date window position...

Then again date wheel does not seem to be deep enough to make it genuine, or maybe the date mag cyclops is from rep with less mag power? Datefont is a bit different from what we get in reps...

Hands are rep but relumed....

Hmm, a franken?

That's interesting.

Dial is 100% genuine with silver number outlines and correct date window position...

Then again date wheel does not seem to be deep enough to make it genuine, or maybe the date mag cyclops is from rep with less mag power? Datefont is a bit different from what we get in reps...

Hands are rep but relumed....

Hmm, a franken?

You have good AP knowledge man!good.gif

But you are wrong.....happy.gif

Nothing wrong with the date. It's deep enough but hard to photograph. I just gave it an extra try . Also the date font is correct!

post-9210-12704683658_thumb.jpg

post-9210-127046837279_thumb.jpg

Guest Sql_pl

Hmm it looks like crown is located correctly, a bit lower than in reps.

I am still not sure about that date wheel depth, here some gen pics for comparison:

AP_OSRO_ss_blac_leth2.jpg

Audemarspiguet26020stood102.jpg

Audemarspiguet26020stood101.jpg

Anyway I am VERY impressed. If it wasn't for hands that one would be really perfect. Please tell us the story. Franken made of what? :)

Bezel screws look great, what did you do to align them like that?

Or maybe you are just eccentric enough to put rep hands on a gen? :) :) :)

Below some pics of my stock rep for comparison:

off1.jpg

ap001.jpg

ap004.jpg

ap019.jpg

Hmm it looks like crown is located correctly, a bit lower than in reps.

I am still not sure about that date wheel depth, here some gen pics for comparison:

Anyway I am VERY impressed. If it wasn't for hands that one would be really perfect. Please tell us the story. Franken made of what? smile.gif

Bezel screws look great, what did you do to align them like that?

Or maybe you are just eccentric enough to put rep hands on a gen? smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Trust me, depth is ok. For some reason it's hard to see it on the pics. Perhaps these help.

post-9210-127047777748_thumb.jpg

post-9210-127047793104_thumb.jpg

This one is taken before I painted it black.

Wonderful piece. They are labors of love. The issue with date "depth" and "size" is going to be a function of the donor movement. Since all of these movements have the cylops mounted in the back movement plate they can come with very different magnifications and fonts. I have built a number of these and the cylops in the movement coming from a Concord Ventu (for instance) will have a very different magnification and font than a stock ETA with DD module attached. In truth even AP's own versions actually vary on magnification and even font (somewhat) based on when the watch was made. I suspect we will see more uniformity going forward as they have moved to an in-house movement.

Sander- This one looks great. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Guest Sql_pl

OK, now please tell us how difficult it was to accomplish that.

I am already looking at dials and movements :)

What was your movement donor? Concord Ventu?

Did gen dial work ok with rep tachy bezel?

A lot of mods to the case required?

Prices of ventus are quite reasonable so I guess one can have full franken for a bit below 3k...

Please let us know! :)