When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SMP Hands Needed

redwatch

Hi folks,

I have given my SMP Bond Watch to my "soon-to-be" father in-law. It is a quite nice rep that I've had for a while now. Some time ago, I needed the 2824 movement so I removed it and then replaced it a few months later. In removing the hands, I kind of messed them up a bit. In trying to straighten and clean them up, I just messed them up more. I must say I am getting much better at removing and re-installing hands, but after many a trial and error, I would really like to put new hands on this watch before my father in-law goes back to Peru.

Anyone know where I can source hands for this one? They would be for an ETA 2824-2 movement.

Thanks!

DSC_0175.jpg

removing and installing hands is the worst

Yes, it is definitely an art! Of course, having good tools helps. I really like jmb's hand setting tools for installing the hands, but I think it's time to bite the bullet and buy a real Bergeon Presto hand remover. I have a "Swiss" Presto hand remover which is what buggered up the hands in the first place. I am surprised I didn't scratch up the dial!

yeah i modded my cheap chinese shat one

i cut off the plastic prongs that extend to "protect" the dial, put a tiny square of electrical tape over the metal plunger that presses the hands tightly to lift them off, filed down the claws that grip under the hands so I can work in tighter spots and finished them with some more electrical tape -to remove their sharp bite. not really a problem since. if you ask me all the contact parts should of been made out of rigid plastic to begin with. fitting the hands back on i use the hand presser bit that came in my set with some rodico on the end to pick up and align the hand, press it in place loosely free hand, then use the actual presser, cleaning off any residue left behind from the rodico afterwards with some optical lens cleaner and a microfiber... well thats my process anyways, feel free to borrow.