When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swiss 7750 Running seconds at six IWC Portugueser

crystalcranium

Has anyone any ideas about the reliability of the IWC Portuguese Chrono, running seconds at six powered by a genuine Swiss 7750? I know the notorious problems associated with the Asian 7750 in this geared up arrangement but I believe I have heard the Swiss has a lot more horsepower. It is available for about $800. I love this watch and I think it is one of the most beautiful reps available. Reliability has kept me from the buy. Any thoughts?

Has anyone any ideas about the reliability of the IWC Portuguese Chrono, running seconds at six powered by a genuine Swiss 7750? I know the notorious problems associated with the Asian 7750 in this geared up arrangement but I believe I have heard the Swiss has a lot more horsepower. It is available for about $800. I love this watch and I think it is one of the most beautiful reps available. Reliability has kept me from the buy. Any thoughts?

Nope, swiss base does not solve anything, because modification is still same problematic one.

regards

According to Ziggy's 2008 review of the Swiss Rolex Daytona with RSS, the Swiss ETA was an upgrade intended to solve the problems based on greater power. Maybe this is just a byproduct of better msnufacture of the ETA power train. That review seemed inconclusive as to the overall problems associated with the Swiss solution and I'm wondering if any long term users of watches with this layout have been satisfied. I think Ziggy was saying the geared solution was inherently and fatally flawed but a prediction is different from actual use.

the problem is the modification, not the Asian 7750.

It is the same with AP seconds at 12. After some work, the watch runs perfect:

So all the effort has to be made to improve the modification for moving seconds to 9 to 6. And, as seen in AP, some AP watches are problematic due to a bad assembly, not to the modification itself.

We are mixing many kind of problems...

Portuguese is problematic for some reasons, not just one.

Regards,

Francisco

the problem is the modification, not the Asian 7750.

It is the same with AP seconds at 12. After some work, the watch runs perfect:

So all the effort has to be made to improve the modification for moving seconds to 9 to 6. And, as seen in AP, some AP watches are problematic due to a bad assembly, not to the modification itself.

We are mixing many kind of problems...

Portuguese is problematic for some reasons, not just one.

Regards,

Francisco

Thank you Francisco. The video comparing before and after movement of the AP second hand in the 12 oclock subdial is striking. It's amazing the improvement you made. Why is is more difficult to move a running second hand to six than it is to 12? You can see that to a layman, the switch would seem no more complicated. As to the Portuguese "other Problems" not associated with friction, do you know what they are or have they remained mysterious. BTW Swiss ETA or not, I will stay away from this watch. What a shame...it is a gorgeous replica.

Thank you Francisco. The video comparing before and after movement of the AP second hand in the 12 oclock subdial is striking. It's amazing the improvement you made. Why is is more difficult to move a running second hand to six than it is to 12? You can see that to a layman, the switch would seem no more complicated. As to the Portuguese "other Problems" not associated with friction, do you know what they are or have they remained mysterious. BTW Swiss ETA or not, I will stay away from this watch. What a shame...it is a gorgeous replica.

Portuguese movement is really worse designed than AP. However, i need to have a look again.