When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone in the US familiar with contract law?

HauteHippie

Hi,

If you're in the US and have done any work with contracts (not necessarily as a lawyer), I have some very simple questions.

Basically I'm going to be hiring a general contractor to perform some extensive work on my home. I want the general and his sub contractors to sign release forms provided by the state licensing board which are waivers from mechanics liens. Essentially, the idea is that once I pay the general contractor if he were to screw over the subcontractors, then those subcontractors couldn't turn around and sue me.

The forms are online, and I just want to bounce their wording off someone with more knowledge than me to make sure I correctly understand who signs on which dotted line. :)

Thanks, and PM me if you could lend a minute or two to help.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Lien laws vary from state to state so you really need to get local advice.

In Florida you should have the GC get separate release of lien's signed by each subcontractor that does major work. Generally your roofer, electrician, HVAC(mechanical), and plumber will cover most work of consequence. The should be made available before the final payment is made to each of them. At the end of the job make sure you have these plus a signed general release of lien from the GC. Make sure they are notarized.

Also make sure you file a "Notice of Commencement" at the start of the job. This is usually required by "Building and Zoning either prior to getting a permit or before the first inspection and is filed at the County Court House. Without it properly and timely filed you cannot enforce the lien laws even if you have the release of liens.