When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Shape of Things to Come - 1530 > Part Two

jmb

I went out to the shop a little early today and turned some 2.0mm rod down to 1.5mm and made a couple of pins to attach the band to the modified case. I made them a snug sliding fit and when all is finished they will probably be epoxied into place making the band more or less a permanent part of the watch. After attaching the band I put the movement back into the case, installed the hands, and just set the crystal and bezel in place as I'll be taking it back apart for a bit more filing and a final brush and polish. I then tried to screw on the back and found I could only get about 1 turn out of it - CRAP!!! Looking at the case threads under the microscope revealed some deformation, likely from getting red hot during welding, which is probably causing the back to not screw down properly. If I can't think of a way to fix the threads this exercise might wind up being just a "display" piece.

Is it going to be perfect? H3ll no! Will it be close? Probably not... Was it worth investing all this time in it? I think so as I feel it satisfied my curiosity as to just how carried away one can get with what was basically a $30 watch! Hopefully it will capture the concept and essence of the original and you have enjoyed watching it's progress. Once it is 100% complete I'll post some final pics and if there is enough interest I suppose I could do a more detailed pictorial chronology.

Here's a few more pics:

57_sm.JPG

59_sm.JPG

66_sm.JPG

67_sm.JPG

Thanks, LH, it is definitely different! I thought I was going to be able to post finished pix this evening but a cranky keyless works and the fact I still can't get the back screwed on have sort of put the brakes on this project for the time being. Seems like some of the a21js cause me to have to straighten out the keyless about every third stem removal/install cycle... I'm seriously contemplating replacing the 21j movements in my favorite watches with clone 2836 movements - they seem to be a bit easier to get along with!