When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT Master II Review

TeeJay

I will preface this review by noting that this is a far from flawless replication of the GMT Master II. Anyone who wants a 100% accurate watch, this is not the watch for you. If you want something which represents the overall aesthetic of the GMT Master II, it might be suitable... Apologies for the poor quality photos, the dust is on the exterior of the crystal, not the interior or dial, and yes, the laser-etched coronet is offset...

Unlike some of my previous reviews, which have 'graded' the various components of the watch, in this instance, I just want to present some photos, and my observations on the watch. I would be the first to admit that I am no expert when it comes to the GMT Master, although I know the basics of the watch's origins via a collaboration between Rolex and Pan-Am. Also, this is not a watch purchased for my own collection, but a belated birthday gift for one of my best friends. This particular variant of the GMT Master II, having solid end links, I believe would make this an early 2000s era, and the case should have drilled lug holes. Oh well...

First Impressions:

When I unwrapped the watch, I had some conflicting feelings. Appreciation for the rich colors of the bezel insert, disappointment (in design) at the Twin Lock crown and bracelet clasp which is sans diver's extension. Of course, both of these features are correct for the GMT Master II, but those other details are things which I personally like on a watch of this size.

DSCN3038.jpg

The dial printing is of good quality, and as far as I can tell, accurately spaced and formatted as per the genuine watch. The quality of the dial, however, is immediately let down by the quality of the hands... The Y in the Mercedes hour hand is too narrow (although paradoxically, this does result in larger lume area...) and the red paint on the GMT hand does not extend to the base of the triangle. Fixable flaws for those with the inclination or skill to do so, possible deal-breakers for those who demand out of the box perfection.

DSCN3049-1.jpg

DSCN3050-1.jpg

As compensation, both hands and dial markers display excellent (for rep factory issue) luminous qualities.

DSCN3057.jpg

Oyster case and bracelet are as comfortable as usual. The bracelet had a few stiff links, but a thorough oiling has eliminated that issue, as well as muting any 'clankiness'. While I prefer the versatility that a diver's extension allows, the clasp is the correct issue for this model watch, and it operates smoothly and securely. The coronet marking could be better executed, but it is visible. Unlike many cheap reps, the letting on the leaves is (almost) correctly spelled, rather than the usual SNSAWABE STEBLHOX gibberish... This one is at least SWSS MADE, with the other lettering correctly spelled, if somewhat lightly applied. Not perfect, but certainly better than on some clasps...

DSCN3048-1.jpg

DSCN3045-1.jpg

The Twin Lock crown operates smoothly and recesses nicely between the crown guards (which would benefit from a little re-shaping) The highlight of the watch, in my opinion, is the iconic Pepsi bezel insert. This is the first time I have seen such an insert in person, and I must admit, I was expecting the colors to be somewhat garish, but in this instance the colors are deep and rich, and much more subtle and subdued than I expected. I would not like to comment on their accuracy, given lack of comparable examples.

DSCN3039.jpg

DSCN3046-1.jpg

DSCN3047-1.jpg

The caseback features a holographic sticker :thumbsupsmileyanim::bangin:

DSCN3041.jpg

DSCN3042.jpg

On the wrist, the watch is as comfortable as I have found any other Rolex watch, and, as mentioned by others, 'disappears' on the wrist when worn. The uni-directional bezel allows for the setting of a second timezone, due to the asian movement not having an independently settable GMT hand...

DSCN3055.jpg

As before, this is certainly not a rep for a perfectionist who will nitpick the details and bemoan the lack of accuracy to a genuine GMT Master II, but I believe it is certainly 'acceptable' for those with reasonable expectations or plans to modify the watch as a project (which will be happening with this watch before it goes off to its new home :whistling: ) and not too bad for

Looks good, T. Was this a cq find? You at least got the correct band and crown - mine had a Sub band and a 7mm Trip-Lock! I like this insert better than mine, mines a bit more "vivid" and glossier, yours is ideal.

I still 'need' a gmt, cheers for the review.

No worries, I hope you found it useful :) There're certainly better examples of the GMT out there, but I think this is acceptable for the price (and would probably be in the $108 bracket on many sites) and could certainly be nicely modified :)

Looks good, T. Was this a cq find? You at least got the correct band and crown - mine had a Sub band and a 7mm Trip-Lock! I like this insert better than mine, mines a bit more "vivid" and glossier, yours is ideal.

Thanks, J :drinks: Yes, it was from CQout, and indeed, those parts are correct for this model, I guess I just think that all bracelets should have an extension on them :lol: The color of the insert is definitely something I'm pleased with, the colors are really rich. Looking at a review of a gen GMT, I'd say the blue is pretty much spot on, the red, I'm not 100% sure of, but I think without side by side comparisons, it's impossible to truly compare, although I'd certainly say the color is acceptable :) When the watch is 'modified' for my friend, I'll be keeping the insert B)

Fantastic review bro :thumbsupsmileyanim: I can't remember the last time I read a review by you!

Thanks, bro, it's certainly been a while :D I decided not to rate the watch, as it has a few flaws which, if put as a score, might give a false impression of the watch, which is actually really nice, and I think good value for money :)