When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Something wrong with watch?

gtanak

Hi all,

Just wound up my Sinn U1 with Asian movement and was watching the second hand move. The second hand kinds of stutters (jumps) from 5 to 25 and after it sweeps normally.. The stuttering is a little hard to describe, it kinds of jumps second by second while the usual sweep does so in 1/2 second steps. Is this something normal for the asian A2813, can someone with a U1 confirm this is normal? I have compared with my other rep watches and it keeps a whole minute well, just a bit uncomfortable with the needle stuttering. Thanks!

G

Well a full service will find and solve the problem, i would agree with grna that you have either worn or missing teeth on one or more gears in the going train

Thanks Fxrandy, i just received it from my dealer. Supposedly the movement he gave me was brand new, what could be a cause of this? a faulty gear wheel in the movement?

Unfortunately, that's normal for a 2813 - well normal for a poorly put together 2813. Indirect drive seconds hand means there is a 'brake' on the seconds hand. This causes the hand to stop and catch up sometimes, mostly due to gravity. If you turned the watch upside down it'd probably do it from 35 to 60. Not much you can do about it. Trust me, I've tried. Though I did learn quite a bit about the 2813 while trying to "fix" it! :whistling:

While good timekeepers and rugged, the 2813 sucks for sweep appearance.

Hi all,

Just wound up my Sinn U1 with Asian movement and was watching the second hand move. The second hand kinds of stutters (jumps) from 5 to 25 and after it sweeps normally.. The stuttering is a little hard to describe, it kinds of jumps second by second while the usual sweep does so in 1/2 second steps. Is this something normal for the asian A2813, can someone with a U1 confirm this is normal? I have compared with my other rep watches and it keeps a whole minute well, just a bit uncomfortable with the needle stuttering. Thanks!

G

Unfortunately, that's normal for a 2813 - well normal for a poorly put together 2813. Indirect drive seconds hand means there is a 'brake' on the seconds hand. This causes the hand to stop and catch up sometimes, mostly due to gravity. If you turned the watch upside down it'd probably do it from 35 to 60. Not much you can do about it. Trust me, I've tried. Though I did learn quite a bit about the 2813 while trying to "fix" it! :whistling:

While good timekeepers and rugged, the 2813 sucks for sweep appearance.

After 2 or 3 minutes of looking at my watch upside down and getting a sore neck, i have to say i think the movement becomes smoother, either that its my eyes playing tricks... My wife just shook her head in a tsk tsk fashion and told me to get a gen! Snore.... Any simple solutions or is opening the watch to check the movement and gears the best solution now?

In that case send it back

Sigh... dun think my dealer is going to be too impressed with me, i just finished packing and wrapping the other one to be sent back and now i gotta get a bigger box to fit both... Think i'll ask for the swiss ETA since this asian one has such dormant problems as someone mentioned.

Gerald are you winding the watch by the crown or are you shaking the watch to wind It? I dont think this will make any difference atm but It could have a long term effect. :) Mike

First out of box winding, about 15-20 times clockwise as advised on the dealer's website. Then subsequently it just runs on my wrist. I dun shake the watch, is there something wrong?

Sigh... dun think my dealer is going to be too impressed with me, i just finished packing and wrapping the other one to be sent back and now i gotta get a bigger box to fit both... Think i'll ask for the swiss ETA since this asian one has such dormant problems as someone mentioned.

Well Gerald you have finally had some good luck, you did not send the Skyland back yet. Now the only thing you have to do Is send both back together. Again Im sorry about your bad luck. :(

Well Gerald you have finally had some good luck, you did not send the Skyland back yet. Now the only thing you have to do Is send both back together. Again Im sorry about your bad luck. :(

Haha... yes you are right Max! That's a good way to look at it, saves me a trip to PO and postage fees... Now i only hope my dealer accepts responsibility and lets me send both back... I've got such an impressive hit rate i should start buying 2nd hand reps off trusted members ... at least i'll be sure those work! hehe

First out of box winding, about 15-20 times clockwise as advised on the dealer's website. Then subsequently it just runs on my wrist. I dun shake the watch, is there something wrong?

It's best to gently shake are reps to wind them, Inferior parts and all. But this has nothing to do with your problems. A few winds of the crown here and there should not be a problem, just dont make a habit of It. :)

I think that shake is the wrong word, rock or rotate in order for the rotor to turn and start winding the watch would be better, however whith the movement of your seconds hand the way you wound it would make no difference

I think that shake is the wrong word, rock or rotate in order for the rotor to turn and start winding the watch would be better, however whith the movement of your seconds hand the way you wound it would make no difference

Thanks FxrAndy, i read on i think Toad's newbie guide never to shake but to rotate it to simulate the natural rotor motion.

Well before i send back this watch, anyone for a beautiful U1 that still keeps time but has character? J/k..

Oh whitesox, if you're reading this, the strap has arrived today and it is beautiful like described. But now i have no watch to wear with it .. sigh. Gonna find me 1 of those 4 leaf clovers off ebay.

I agree, to rotate/rock would be best. I like the Brandy Snifter method

A good way of explaining it!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks Andy, I read resently that It's always better to rock or rotate the watch as oppose to tapping/shaking the watch. It has something to do with the watch being completly unwound, perfectly In beat? :g: The roller jewel, palet fork and escape wheel should be on a perfect line of center. The balence wheel recieves It's Impulse from the palet fork. When you wind the watch up, a slight motion Is needed to move the balance wheel any direction to recieve the Impulse from the palet fork. It Is suggested that one rotate the timepiece back and forth Instead of tapping or shaking. I read most of this In Watchtime Magazine. I thought some members would like to know why we rotate/ swril/ rock are reps or gens for that matter. :drinks: Mike (ps) Im sure you already new this Andy but I sure didn't :pardon:

The roller jewel, palet fork and escape wheel should be on a perfect line of center. The balance wheel receives It's Impulse from the palet fork. When you wind the watch up, a slight motion Is needed to move the balance wheel any direction to receive the Impulse from the palet fork.

If the watch is perfectly in beat then just winding the watch should provide enough impulse for the watch to start on its own but some times the balance needs a little rock

It's a brand new rep, I think he should send It back. What do others think? :g:

No.

After 2 or 3 minutes of looking at my watch upside down and getting a sore neck, i have to say i think the movement becomes smoother, either that its my eyes playing tricks... My wife just shook her head in a tsk tsk fashion and told me to get a gen!

lol i like her.