When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need recommendation for replacement SMP crystal.

beyondx4

Hello. I've recently bought a Bond SMP w/ clone ETA + sapphire crystal from Mary. I think the watch is very nice overall, but one thing that I cannot stand about it is the loupe effect of the crystal that distorts the dial and also makes it seem less-clear. I'm looking around for a good solution and the only one I see that may work is an aftermarket crystal by wholesaleoutlet990 on the bay; however, I do not know if it'll fit nor do I have any idea on the true quality of that crystal. I don't think I could afford a gen crystal. I'd appreciate if anyone could give me some recommendations. Thanks!

Hi, I suggest to get some calipers and measure the diameter and thickness of the crystal. Then look on watchmaterials house websites that sell crystals and choose the sapphire version that matches the measurements. If you can't find it online, pay a visit to a local watchmaker, they should be able to find a replacement for you. This is all I can suggest at the moment, I'm not sure if double AR makes much difference, hopefully other members can chime in here.

Thanks DemonSlayer. I'll need to remove my crystal to make some specific measurements. I've been looking around online and it seems like generic domed crystals are in the $40 range and I'm not so sure about the quality (or if I'll end up with the same loupe effect I'm having). In the past, I've bought an SMP from WBK (with a mineral crystal) for my brother that is so much clearer and shows off the wave dial like it was meant to be. I doubt if any AR would help with the magnifying effects of my SMP's crystal. I've seen discussions about this issue on this batch of SMPs. Just wondering if any member have had personal experience with this and have found a solution. I'll pull the trigger as soon as I could get a confirmation on a source for a decently constructed domed sapphire crystal.

"I doubt if any AR would help with the magnifying effects of my SMP's crystal."

Nope, Ar wouldn't have any effect but decreasing reflexes on the glass.

I know very well because i got coated a crystal with loupe effect.

As being said, your best option is measuring thickness and diameter with a caliper (you can find one for 10-15 bucks).

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had the time to remove my SMP's crystal to measure it with a caliper and it seems to be pretty true to the original specs. The diameter is about 30.45mm and the thickness is about 1.75mm. What makes the thickness a little hard to measure is because it is a domed sapphire crystal (the center measures slightly thicker). Anyway, I'll need some more advice here. First on the diameter, replacement crystals usually come in 30.40mm or 30.50mm. Would it be safe to get a 30.50mm? Secondly, does anyone know where there may be a sapphire dome crystal that is around this thickness? I've just had a confirmation from another member that the $70 SMP crystal from that wholesale990 guy on the bay is not what it's claimed to be, so my only option may be to get a domed mineral crystal. At least I won't have to deal with the loupe effect. Thanks.

Edited by beyondx4

What do you exactly mean "the $70 SMP crystal from that wholesale990 guy on the bay is not what it's claimed to be"?

I heard anything but good comments about that crystal.

Also, can you check what the max thickness is?

Is 1.75mm the thickest part of the crystal?

Anyways, you can also try with this company:

http://www.krysworks-store.com/

Price is pretty the same.

This is what they answered to me:

"...is available as the SeaMaster 30.5 mm with AR coating and is $69.50"

I'm in the same situation and i'm looking for a replacement crystal as well (with no single side AR, i 'd like to send it to chief for a double side AR)

As for the diameter, someone stated 30.5mm is fine.

I have no first-hand proof though. :(

Did you consider to ask some dealers here to source a spare crystal? Usually they don't do that.. but if you're a good/regular customer i'm sure thay will make an exception..

That's interesting because another member purchased that crystal from the Bay, expecting single sided AR, but there wasn't any sign of AR coated on that crystal. He ended up returning it for partial credit and got a gen crystal instead. Maybe people got different standards. If you're not looking for any AR, maybe that crystal would be perfect for your case. Just be a little careful with that company if you need to return something, not only will you be paying the shipping back but there will also be a 20% restocking fee (which is not in their terms/condition page).

I've re-measured the thickness and at the center of the dome, it could get as thick as 2.5mm. I'm actually considering purchasing a 30.5mm / 2mm thick mineral glass dome crystal from Jules Borel (I usually purchase my parts from them).

I was the one that purchased the crystal from wholesaleoutlet. There was no A/R on the crystal so i got a $20 credit. I also purchased a single A/R from Krysworks. His had A/R - but the single A/R crystal from a 42 PO was a lot better.

I would get a sapphire crystal - 30.5 by 2mm (sometimes 2.5mm depending on the case). Then get it double A/R by chief.

Problem solved.

TripleHD, I didn't know you were hit that hard (only a $20 credit on a $70 crystal?). My only experience with them was on a PO bezel that didn't fit, so I returned it unopened, and got back about 75%. Glad you found a solution. Where would you suggest getting the base sapphire 2mm thick crystal? Thanks for your input.

Ryaku, the 30.5mm x 2.0mm mineral crystal would run about $7 + $3 shipping from JB. Go to their website, look under Products --> Horological catalog --> Crystals (12pg) --> then it should be on the 3rd pg. If this thing is similar to the mineral glass found on WBK's, then it should satisfy my needs for now.

Ryaku, I checked out the Krysworks, Inc store and they appear to be serious with this watch crystal business. Are you planning to buy a non-coated 30.5mm x 2.0mm domed sapphire crystal from them and then have Chief double AR it? Cuz now I'm thinking about doing just that rather than wasting $10 on a mineral crystal or $75 on a single-AR crystal that I'm not fully satisfied with. Thanks.