When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ARGGGHH! 2893-2 in GMTIIC and hands won't work

gliptopolis

I had the same problem. It was a b*tch. The only thing I came up with was to use a crystal press and push the center hole of the dial down slightly. Just enough to get the GMT hand to connect. I finally got it all together and working though. Unfortunately, if you don't leave a little extra space for the date wheel, it catches on the GMT setting gear. When you raise it, the GMT hand wont fit. Then of course, you have to bend the GMT, hour, and minute hand to where they don't catch the dial markers or each other. Not an easy project.

DSCN4183.jpg

DSCN4102.jpg

have you guys measured the length of either the hour wheel of 24h wheel? Take a measurement and compare to the ETA chart. There are two fitting heights for the 2893-2 and a good chance your movements are all stock hand fitting length. If they are, you can order taller CP, HW, 24H wheel. You will only gain an extra 0.25mm, but it will help you cheat those hands on there.

Sounds like a big can of worms to me though. good luck guys!

2893-2 fitting

I believe that the canon pinion seems to have plenty of height for the second hand. Without measuring you can't be sure but I believe if you had the next higher set of GMT, hour, and second hand wheels, it would solve the problem.

Okay, this sucks. What would be my best option for a donor watch that the movement will work better in? I've actually got the generic 2893-2 plus I somehow ended up with another one from a Corum as well. I need to do something with them before they end up missing from my bench...

They would work in a PAM 029 that came with the 2836-2...

Or use it in an Omega Seamaster GMT.

or, if you have the standard 2893-2, then order the taller HW, 24H wheel, and CP. Swap them out and use it in a Rollie vintage GMT that has no dial markers. Beat rate will be off, but it will be a nice reliable GMT.

Sold my 029 about 4 years ago and don't miss it so that one's out. Not a fan of the Omega GMT either. Guess it'll have to be an older GMT rollie. Now to decide which one.

Gluing that damn datewheel overlay on just makes it too tall...gotta think about this one some more. I sure wanted a GMTIIC with this movement :wounded1: