When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Side by side comparison of a legit Planet Ocean and a quality fake...

ongck77

Other than all other differences people mentioned earlier, the one thing I have noticed between the gen and rep is the quality of the stainless steel. The metal on my ex-UPO (gave to a friend of mine) is a bit grayish compare to gen. This is especially apparent on the bracelet.

It seems that in many cases its due to the quality of the finishing on the SS and not the actual chemical composition. I re-finished my UPO bracelet with a fine satin brushing block, and not only did the grain look better, but it was more whiter in appearance! I then took a soft cotton cloth, dabbed it in some Cape Cod solution and lightly polished the bracelet using back and forth strokes.

The bracelet ended up looking much better with a sheen to it, as opposed to the dull grey look from the factory.

what a poor review. He missed the most obvious details (Omega logo, pearl, dial color, seconds hand tip color, lume, and the list goes on) and highlighted incorrect things like the AR (not that the UPO has a great AR but it is double AR).

What a useless review but again most gen owners know very little about watches to begin with. The rep community is much more technically savvy than those guys that barely know how to operate their timepieces.

Tru dat. He said this one had no AR. Based on that long with some other things I saw this would have to be a Patypong piece. Nothing like we get here.

Hey guys i was just at WUS and saw this thread [link]http://www.redirect.am/?http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=397753[/link] this c old easily be a franken 4th Gen PO but I am not sure what the RWG policy is on alerting folks to the potential of a fake being passed on as the real deal. What do you guys think? I would say that the only for sure way to authenticate a PO is to open it up and look at the movement...should I speak up?

DB2

Hey guys i was just at WUS and saw this thread [link]http://www.redirect.am/?http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=397753[/link] this c old easily be a franken 4th Gen PO but I am not sure what the RWG policy is on alerting folks to the potential of a fake being passed on as the real deal. What do you guys think? I would say that the only for sure way to authenticate a PO is to open it up and look at the movement...should I speak up?

DB2

The watch in question is a genuine 42mm PO.

Nothing fake about the watch in the photos.

How can you tell? I know that the Franken that I built has so many gen parts it's nearly impossible to tell it from the genuine article....

The biggest tell-tale is the fact that no replica 42mm PO has had a serial number engraved on the lug.

The watch in question has the serial engraved. Furthermore, there are no other signs that tell its a replica to begin with.

So the question is why do you think its a rep?

lol

The biggest tell-tale is the fact that no replica 42mm PO has had a serial number engraved on the lug.

The watch in question has the serial engraved. Furthermore, there are no other signs that tell its a replica to begin with.

So the question is why do you think its a rep?

lol

I didn't notice the serial numbers on the lug, I looked for them but didn't see them and that's what alerted me to it. . Once a franken has gen dial, bezel, eta date wheels, gen stem and crown, gen bracelet and chiefs ar or gen crystal I am not sure other than the lack of serial on the lugs and looking at the movement that one could tell if it's a fake or not.

I didn't notice the serial numbers on the lug, I looked for them but didn't see them and that's what alerted me to it. . Once a franken has gen dial, bezel, eta date wheels, gen stem and crown, gen bracelet and chiefs ar or gen crystal I am not sure other than the lack of serial on the lugs and looking at the movement that one could tell if it's a fake or not.

I see the serial now, I thought that was just a reflection before...but thinking about serials, don't gray market omegas come with the serial number polished off?

That was really sad. It makes me laugh that we care about things like text being 1/32 of a cm too low when most of those guys didn't even notice the horrible pearl on a $100 21j rep. Then they all praised it as a "helluva fake."

Dont know why houndoggie bothered to try to teach them.

I see the serial now, I thought that was just a reflection before...but thinking about serials, don't gray market omegas come with the serial number polished off?

Yes, gray market omegas often have the serial number removed. I'm just pointing out the fact that you shouldn't just jump the gun and assume the watch in question is fake, especially if you were going to make it public on another board. It would affect the seller's potential sell.

I know that once you put genuine parts on certain replicas, they can indistinguishable from the genuine cosmetically but does that mean we should call fake on every 42mm PO that doesn't come with box or papers??

Anyway, lets move on.

Yes, gray market omegas often have the serial number removed. I'm just pointing out the fact that you shouldn't just jump the gun and assume the watch in question is fake, especially if you were going to make it public on another board. It would affect the seller's potential sell.

I know that once you put genuine parts on certain replicas, they can indistinguishable from the genuine cosmetically but does that mean we should call fake on every 42mm PO that doesn't come with box or papers??

Anyway, lets move on.

I am just looking at it from the perspective of he buyer. I would want somebody to alert me of the potential risks. It had nothing to do with the lack of box and papers. Buying boxes and papers to pass the fakes is easier than modding the watch...I just thought the buyer should have the watch checked at a Watch shop prior to buying the watch... Just my $.02

I am just looking at it from the perspective of he buyer. I would want somebody to alert me of the potential risks. It had nothing to do with the lack of box and papers. Buying boxes and papers to pass the fakes is easier than modding the watch...I just thought the buyer should have the watch checked at a Watch shop prior to buying the watch... Just my $.02

haha...I know you have good intentions. No one is doubting that.

What strikes me is that the watch in questions doesn't show ANY signs of it being fake for a 42mm PO. You said you didn't notice the serial, well i'm sure others did.

So i'm not sure why you're warning prospective buyers when there is nothing wrong with the watch.

I would issue the warning to anybody buy a 42mm PO (without the serial numbers, of course)...it's too easy to make an indistinguishable clone of that particular watch...

But, you're right, this particular watch appears to be legit due to the presence of the serial number....