When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sinn U2 SS PVD Bezel

Well, my first decent rep and I could not be happier.

In the last two weeks I must have looked at every single watch on offer by the cartel and talked myself into and out of buying all of them! Well, not exactly, but you know what I mean: first it was a Skyland Avenger Chrono, then the ever popular UPO, then about five IWC watches, a DSSD... the list goes on. I wanted a Swiss ETA, double AR sapphire, military inspired piece that was well made and looked the business. I decided on a Sinn U2 and at the last minute saw Joshua had just received new ones with SS cases and PVD bezels - the trigger was pulled.

I've had the watch on my wrist all day and havent noticed any discernable time keeping issues - it's dead-on to my PCs clock down to the second.

The watch itself has some weight to it, but once it was on my wrist it felt almost imperceptible. I had a Seiko "Caeser" a while back but sold it because it was so heavy and chunky I kept banging it in to door frames and what-not; thankfully, no chance of that happening with the U2. It's high enough to give good wrist presence, but not so much that it looks like a VW Polo has parked on your arm.

The bad points? Well, the lume is average, especially on the hands. The other negatives are the argon module is just painted on. No big deal, there is I believe a video on YouTube, a bit of a how-to, on modding the Sinn U2/UX, which addresses the argon module and a couple of other things. The gap in the buckle is such a small thing, yet it can make or break the feel of a watch. Down to personal choice really, I'm happy with it as is, until the rubber strap is too caked with dust.

For those of you, like me, that impose a price limit on reps (mine is currently at $250), at $US228 the Sinn U2 is a damn good watch. I didn't buy the UPO because of that damn clown-footed logo, and couldn't bring myself to spend $US330 on a Skyland Avenger. For me, this watch is perfect and I have zero buyers regret. I can't say I'm crazy about the rubber strap, but neither will I pay $250 for a gen SS bracelet, so a gen leather strap will be bought next week.

Enjoy the pics!

4588044607_773f447f9f_o.jpg

4588044877_0d2e43c618_o.jpg

4588667100_c971af2a61_o.jpg

4588045187_61d6ae394a_o.jpg

Mmmmm, tasty AR blueness... *drools*

4588673414_7f599e8ced_o.jpg

You can see some of the dust the "anti-dust" rubber has already attracted.

4588061919_0edcf2d9e5_o.jpg

Besides the gap, the buckle itself feels solid and well made.

4588051873_ba362a168a_o.jpg

The gap. Might be able to fix this, will post if I do.

4588683084_7907da72b0_o.jpg

Lume after a 5 second charge with an LED torch.

4588683228_47b9551829_o.jpg

As Sam Fisher would say, "Darkness..." *tap tap*

4588061831_d7d0449aa6_o.jpg

On my 19.5cm or 7.6" wrist.

Wat a beauty indeed my friend. Certainly my next watch.. Intend to carry out the mods myself. Do consider the gen rubber strap, for those who have it as well, it certainly does not trap dust and is extremely comfortable to wear. I recall one of the PVDs on sale also had the deployment clasp PVD coated as well. I might be wrong. Enjoy ur U2!

Im extremely impressed with the quality of these Sinn reps, not sure why they are not more popular? You can always get the hands and dial re-lumed! Whats the "argon module"? also is it a fully functional GMT? :thumbsupsmileyanim: Great watch

@OSrep: I believe the argon module/capsule is, in the gen, something which keeps the watch dry.

And yes, the GMT seems to be working as it should.

Why aren't they more popular? Because everyone knows Rolex, Omega, Breitling, B&R, etc, etc. Sinn is fairly small in production per year, and not many people know about them. I think they are great, wish the cartel would rep the other models in the Sinn range.

NB: Just emails Joshua, who said there are more Sinn models "in the pipeline" :thumbsupsmileyanim: Horrah!

Edited by BlackKnight

@OSrep: I believe the argon module/capsule is, in the gen, something which keeps the watch dry.

FYI, in the gen it's a copper sulphate capsule, which absorbs moisture inside the watch and changes colour to blue as it does so (when it's completely blue i believe that means it is saturated with moisture). The case itself is filled with argon gas

And yes, the GMT seems to be working as it should.

Why aren't they more popular? Because everyone knows Rolex, Omega, Breitling, B&R, etc, etc. Sinn is fairly small in production per year, and not many people know about them. I think they are great, wish the cartel would rep the other models in the Sinn range.

NB: Just emails Joshua, who said there are more Sinn models "in the pipeline" :thumbsupsmileyanim: Horrah!

Im learning something new every day :D Didnt even know watches had an "argon module"......very cool indeed! I will have to seriously consider a U1000 :thumbsupsmileyanim: Would be interesting to see what other models come out then!

Im learning something new every day :D Didnt even know watches had an "argon module"......very cool indeed! I will have to seriously consider a U1000 :thumbsupsmileyanim: Would be interesting to see what other models come out then!

Just to share - taken from Sinn website

Ar-Dehumidifying Technology

Ar-Dehumidifying Technology solves a basic problem of mechanical watches: the aging of oils due to moisture in the air contained inside, or diffusing into, the watch. The movement is mounted in a nearly anhydrous atmosphere thanks to the three Ar-Dehumidifying Technology elements of drying capsule, EDR seals and protective gas filling. Aging processes and fogging of the crystal from sudden cold are prevented, and reliable functioning and accuracy are ensured.

Why does a watertight watch need dehumidifying technology anyway?

The beauty and fascination of owning a SINN watch are enhanced by the knowledge of the fine mechanical precision of this object of daily use. Nonetheless, no matter how accurately the individual components are made, friction and wear must be minimized so that they function durably. Thus high-quality synthetic oils are used to ensure optimal lubrication of the movement bearings. This remains an unavoidable process in all mechanical watches. Humidity, however, accelerates the aging of the oils. How does moisture get into the watch? Water is always present in the atmosphere in gaseous form, which is why it can penetrate the seal systems of a watch case. Temperature changes then cause microcondensation, permitting water to collect in liquid form on exposed parts of the movement. The consequences: The efficiency of the lubrication deteriorates. Electrochemical corrosion, wear and friction increase, reducing the amplitude of the balance. The watch runs with decreasing accuracy and must finally be reconditioned. Our engineers looked for solutions to this problem and found them in the form of Ar-Dehumidifying Technology.

Three technical elements

The Ar-Dehumidifying Technology is based on three technical elements: a drying capsule, EDR seals and a protective gas filling.

The primary element: the drying capsule

The drying capsule is the most important part of the Ar-Dehumidifying Technology. The capsule is filled with copper sulfate; this absorbs moisture from the air inside the case and binds it permanently. Copper sulfate turns increasingly blue as its water content rises; the shade serves as an indicator of the drying capsule's level of saturation. The capsule features a small viewing window of sapphire crystal glass for this purpose.

EDR seals

To minimize the exchange of gas between atmospheric air and that inside the case, and thus the penetration of atmospheric moisture, we only use Extreme Diffusion-Reducing (EDR) seals in watches featuring Ar-Dehumidifying Technology. These seals reduce the infiltration of moisture in the case to as little as 25% of the value permitted by conventional case seals made of nitrile rubber (NBR).

Superior protective gas filling

The Ar-Dehumidifying Technology is completed by a superior protective gas filling. This creates an ideal climate for the Ar-Dehumidifying Technology to function in. Only moisture diffusing from the air now has to be bound in the drying capsule. This avoids the humidity which is otherwise locked in during conventional assembly.

Mounted in a nearly anhydrous environment

These painstaking and technically elaborate measures are intended to keep the movement in a protective environment which is almost completely dry (anhydrous). A positive consequence of this is that it slows the aging process of the oil, thereby extending the functional life of the movement. Also, fogging of the crystal due to sudden temperature shocks (such as immersion in cold water) can be prevented, ensuring that the watch remains clearly legible at all times.

Three-year warranty

Ar-Dehumidifying Technology is a truly pioneering achievement for mechanical wristwatches by our engineers

Just ordered mine! Can't wait for it to arrive and get down to modding... Hopefully i will have a mini-mod review for my U2 in 2-3 weeks time. It already has a decent crystal, so i will re lume and do the Ar Mod. Pair it with my gen rubber strap... Com on baby!

Interesting info on the Argon technology, seems to make sense if it works :)

Good news that they are doing other Sinn models too, if Joshua is right!

Please be the UBlack, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease :wub:

Interesting info on the Argon technology, seems to make sense if it works :)

Good news that they are doing other Sinn models too, if Joshua is right!

Please be the UBlack, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease :wub:

I can confirm that they are in the process of making the Sinn U1 phantom black. Just not too sure when it will be released. My dealer will inform me once its available.

@maxman: Not at all, mate. I don't notice it and I am very fussy with build quality. Also since I received it last Saturday it has been keeping within +/- 5 secs :) Totally stoked.

@gtanak: Would love to see your mod tutorial! I will definately relume mine with the Lum-Tec stuff but one big issue is the hands. When you get yours you will see they seem to be flat and the lume is applied by a machine so it's perfectly placed. So I don't know how to remove the lume off the hands without damaging them. Reckon you could check with your dealer if they would supply Sinn U2 hands and maybe a dial? I would be really keen on buying several sets if they did sell them.

Received my U2 today... very very nice and runs like a beauty on swiss eta 2836-2. Blacknight, you're right about the lume on the hands being flat. Looks like its a good idea to get a few spare sets of dials and hands. Plus i'm defintely gonna screw up 1 or 2 dials enlarging the hole for the AR capsule.... Photos soon. .

Need some opinions on whether this is a genuine swiss eta? Anyone? Engravings are V8V85 2836-2 DM and some insignia design

2836.jpg

2836-2.jpg

Sinn is a kind of brand that (at least here in brazil) nobody knows. Just Watch nerds like me know about. I almost pull the trigger when the first came to the light, but when i saw this new version @ some dealer site, I wanna see it better. Now you show to us, and I have a problem here :)

Thanks for the review!

Congrats gtanak! I wont be reluming mine until I get some spares, also. Will just stick to subs, pilots, etc, for now. Also the gap in my buckle has shrunk, amazingly. The rubber has broken-in and it's almost unnoticable. Also, it is keeping really good time, was running 5+secs/24hrs, adjusted it today, will update.

Can't wait for that review, gtanak!

Congrats gtanak! I wont be reluming mine until I get some spares, also. Will just stick to subs, pilots, etc, for now. Also the gap in my buckle has shrunk, amazingly. The rubber has broken-in and it's almost unnoticable. Also, it is keeping really good time, was running 5+secs/24hrs, adjusted it today, will update.

Can't wait for that review, gtanak!

Will come once my dealer confirms she can get me spare parts. Hey BlackKnight, if you ever get a chance to open the caseback, lemme know if yours is exactly like my pic and what the engravings say.. i'm curious about the DM part. Some guys got PH etc... Wonder what it stands for.. place of origin? Anyone?

Also.. You're everywhere Blackknight... I secretly think you're Batman but that's our little secret

To be honest, mate, half of me wants to know if it's an ETA clone or real... the half that's in control doesn't :)

After adjustment, my U2 seems to be +-2secs/24hrs, so I'm pretty happy with whatever it is.

AR MOD

After an hour or so or assembling my tools, glue, paint etc.. I'm happy to announce step 1 of U2 mod is complete. Step 2 coming up when i get my C1 lume hopefully tomorrow.

Genuine U2, note AR capsule is sunken. uncoloured screw thread within hole at the 6 o'clock

20081119154.jpg

Rep with AR mod protruding at 6 o'clock

SN001b3.jpg

Finished AR mod

85ed12c0.jpg

Wish me luck!

G