When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Has anyone swapped out the movements in a PAM GMT?

panerai153

I was wondering if anyone had made the movement swap in a PAM GMT? I have a couple of 2893-2 movements, that I bought specifically for a Rolex GMT IIc swap, but it's looking like that it's really difficult due to problems with the hands not clearing the markers on the dial, as well as the date wheel too close to the underside of the dial.

Several years ago, I had a PAM 29 GMT that came with the 2893-2 movement. They were available for a little while, and then they started coming standard with the modified 2836-2 movements.I might be interested in trying the swap in a PAM GMT if it's a "drop in" and not too problematic.

DSN no longer has decent hand sets for the 029/063... his hand sets are freakishly bad... you'll have to source old sets. don't know what his issue is but he doesn't like to disclose his substitutions... :(

Can you not bore out the GMT from a 2836 to a 2893 movement? I haven't found a decent 2893 GMT hand for the 029...so I'm sticking with a swiss 2836 movement for now. :wounded1:

you can have a small hand broached and staked... basically resized. only the experienced know how...

you can have a small hand broached and staked... basically resized. only the experienced know how...

I do have a competent watchsmith....but I think I'll try to source gen hands....I'll probably need to buy the whole watch to do that though. lol

Yes as Kylan said the hands will have to be broched (sorry if that is misspelled) Rex and Zig have both done these on a number of occasions and that they both likely have that same hand broching tool set that costs quite a bit of money

as for the 2836 it is a problematic movement even in the swiss... many will swear by it... until it craps the bed on them and spends months with the watchsmith only to suffer from multiple mystery ailments. The 2893 swap is more than worth it if you plan on keeping the watch... I can't imagine an 029 or 063 without the 2893-2 movement.