When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just a General Impression

freddy333

After wearing my '39 Newman with the new dial, I have to say that while the differences between DW's dial & this 1 are minute, at best (both easily make it through my arm-length yardstick does-it-look-gen? test)

113-1_1__tonemapped1.jpg

(DW dial at right & T SWISS T is now red)

the overall appearance of the watch seems, now, to have taken on a less striking appearance. At 1st, that may seem like a bad thing, but, in my experience, in the world of frankens, whispering your presence says alot more than shouting it. At least, if you want to be believed.

So, while I have always thought the red chrono hand lent the watch a certain Italian panache, my thinking is tending to lean towards returning it to its original color (black wand with a white tip to contrast the dial colors). But, all that aside, I think the watch's overall appearance, with the new/modded dial, is much more workmanlike (after all, back in the day, the steel Daytona was a tool watch). I cannot quite put my finger on why (perhaps, it is the slightly duller white used in this dial or the more textured paint finish), but I am gaining a new appreciation for DW's original case replication than I had before.

Damn. Now, with this dial, even under closer than normal viewing conditions & with 1 hand red & another 1 missing, this thing is almost indistinguishable from the real McCoy

023-2_2__tonemapped1.jpg

But when you come down to it, it is all about the 3

015crosneg1.jpg

I love the off-white color of the dial on the left, it's so much more subtle :good:

Exactly. Look, also, at how much more bold the subdial printing is on the new dial vs the DW (& most aftermarket Daytona dials). Even with heavy patina, the gen subdial printing is always very striking in its contrast against the underlying subdial color. This is another thing the factory that made this new dial got correct. And those fonts on the long-tail 3...... :shock: ......I have only ever seen them on gens & Texas dials (which are nearly impossible to detect with 100% reliability). Getting such an obscure detail like that font's serifs exactly right - & I mean EXACTLY - & then printing the T SWISS T too large & in white........that can only have been done on purpose. If these types of 'mistakes' are not done as a favor to Rolex, then maybe the factories do it in an effort to identify their dials from the next factory's? Whatever it is, 'mistakes' like that on a dial like this are not accidental. :g:

Looks like the T SWISS T totally disappears in the case though. Is that how it should be?

good eyes chief ;)

i know that for older gilt dials (ie. pcg 5512) this is very common, but i have no idea if this is the case for daytona dials. freddy, any insights re: genuine daytonas "cutting off" the t swiss t on the bottom of the dial?

deltatahoe

Exactly. Look, also, at how much more bold the subdial printing is on the new dial vs the DW (& most aftermarket Daytona dials). Even with heavy patina, the gen subdial printing is always very striking in its contrast against the underlying subdial color. This is another thing the factory that made this new dial got correct. And those fonts on the long-tail 3...... :shock: ......I have only ever seen them on gens & Texas dials (which are nearly impossible to detect with 100% reliability). Getting such an obscure detail like that font's serifs exactly right - & I mean EXACTLY - & then printing the T SWISS T too large & in white........that can only have been done on purpose. If these types of 'mistakes' are not done as a favor to Rolex, then maybe the factories do it in an effort to identify their dials from the next factory's? Whatever it is, 'mistakes' like that on a dial like this are not accidental. :g:

The difference in printing is striking, as it is not only bolder, but also brighter. In a way, I would wonder if the difference might be because the more subtle dial color makes the subdial printing appar brighter by comparison, buy as it's a side by side comparison, it's clear that the printing is definitely brighter and bolder. I've heard that the subtle differences to the gen are deliberate so it could be argued in court that they are not a 100% replica, but to be honest, with such accuracy of the other details, I couldn't ever see that defence holding water... As you say, maybe it's so the makers can spot their own work :)

Yea, the subdial print is better, but the ROLEX COSMOGRAPH print and font is more believable also on the newer dial. Looks like the T SWISS T totally disappears in the case though. Is that how it should be?

The amount of the T SWISS T that shows is dependent on the exact placement of the dial on the pillar plate. With mine, as with many gens, the dial feet can get slightly bent off-center, which then leaves the dial ever-so-slightly off-center within the case. Depending on which way the feet are bent, the dial will sit slightly off-center in the opposite direction. In my case, the feet are bent slightly too far north, which makes the dial sit a bit too far south. You may be able to see what I am referring to by looking at the slightly too-high position of the pinion in the hour totalizer

008-2_2__tonemapped1-1.jpg

Once I get in there again to replace the missing hand, I will straighten out the feet & the dial will be more centered. Then, you may be able to see a bit more of the T SWISS T, but I doubt there will be enough of it in view for anyone to spot a problem there under normal viewing circumstances.