When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Wonder

fijiman

In my recent trip to KL, Malaysia after some digging I found reps of the same quality (and I mean exactly).

I can only assume that in their birthplace, it would be same, so...

Yes, they can be had for slightly cheaper - for much more legwork, hard work with haggling and the language problems that go with it.

BUT, there is of course no recourse buying on the street. Here you can can have DOA's and major faults fixed as part of our trusted dealer service.

IMHO, buy junky street reps for fun, or maybe parts (?) and for quality buy from our dealers.

In my recent trip to KL, Malaysia after some digging I found reps of the same quality (and I mean exactly).

I can only assume that in their birthplace, it would be same, so...

Yes, they can be had for slightly cheaper - for much more legwork, hard work with haggling and the language problems that go with it.

BUT, there is of course no recourse buying on the street. Here you can can have DOA's and major faults fixed as part of our trusted dealer service.

IMHO, buy junky street reps for fun, or maybe parts (?) and for quality buy from our dealers.

Sounds like really good advice :good:

Having bought several reps from Shanghai, Nanjing, Beijing etc... my advice is stick to asian movements. You can never verify that the movement is swiss eta like they claim and you will be charged almost 5-10x the price of a normal chinese rep. Its called AAA grade. I have been told crap like the price higher if its Korean, Hongkong, Japanese, Swiss movement in that order... Also note that when buying reps, whatever you see displayed is always crap. The slightly decent stuff is kept in aluminium boxes and the even higher grade is kept either behind a false wall or even a false ceiling where you have to climb a ladder to enter Rep heaven. But be prepared to pay, if you see the works and buy nothing.... get ready to run really fast.

Lastly, know your watches and prices. Go with pictures etc, they have the usual catalogues for every brand imaginable but that's only a front pic. Enjoy! and do post some pics. Oh yah, if your watch dies 5 minutes after working away... forget about getting a replacement cos in their records... you never bought nothing from them!

G

Having bought several reps from Shanghai, Nanjing, Beijing etc... my advice is stick to asian movements. You can never verify that the movement is swiss eta like they claim and you will be charged almost 5-10x the price of a normal chinese rep. Its called AAA grade. I have been told crap like the price higher if its Korean, Hongkong, Japanese, Swiss movement in that order... Also note that when buying reps, whatever you see displayed is always crap. The slightly decent stuff is kept in aluminium boxes and the even higher grade is kept either behind a false wall or even a false ceiling where you have to climb a ladder to enter Rep heaven. But be prepared to pay, if you see the works and buy nothing.... get ready to run really fast.

Lastly, know your watches and prices. Go with pictures etc, they have the usual catalogues for every brand imaginable but that's only a front pic. Enjoy! and do post some pics. Oh yah, if your watch dies 5 minutes after working away... forget about getting a replacement cos in their records... you never bought nothing from them!

G

Thanks, great Infomation to have. "Get ready to run really fast" :lol: YOU BUY WATCH damit YOU BUY WATCH, :rofl:

Hi Gtanak,

So how much price diff are we looking at?

G

Hi Gtanak,

So how much price diff are we looking at?

Well Fijiman, if you've did a search in the other related threads.. you might have come across the almost ludicrous price range you get quoted for reps. Just take for example a MB pen. The very basic std issue black MB pen at first quote goes for RMB100. I used to think slashing it down to RMB20 was an achievement, till i was with my colleague who promptly slashed and haggled in English with them till he got RMB5 per pen. AND he bought 1 only in the end. I ended up buying 10!

So if you ask me about prices... I can tell you what a decent value you should get roughly.. Display watches outside, crappy reps - RMB150-200 the most. (About 20-30USD) Quartz are generally cheaper by 50-100RMB and if you ask me, last longer than the crappy rep automatics.

The slightly higher grade reps in the alu boxes can vary ALOT. RMB400-1000 easily depending on the watch and quality. The difference in weight, sapphire glass (They will use a key and scratch the surface to show you) and finishing is apparent. FInally the AAA grade, mostly in hidden trap doors etc, 1000-3000 RMB, and for these, the prices are pretty rigid cos their cost price is really high for these. Do remember all these prices are estimates after all your haggling, shouting, smirking, walking away, rolling on the floor laughing, Looks of disbelief and the theatrical works of which i have done almost all except ROFL.

Hope this helps. Oh yah, remember that if you do get them to show you the hidden door, haggle and reach a price you agree and NOT buy. Make sure they're no sharp objects nearby and you can run really fast...

Hi Gtanak... got it.. i think its better to stick with truster dealers... In that case, I'll just get sunglasses and handbags for wife :)

Thanks everyone for replies... RWG Rules

Same rules for handbags.. best grades are hidden, ie dun pay for anything that's on display...

Have fun!

This is the link to my post about buying in China (2009).

Generally better reps will go for > 1200 yuans.

rolsmall20.jpg

I bought a fantasy Rolex in 2006 for 100 yuans. (Still works well, go figure)

rolsmall3.jpg

"My Bad"

the link

... story about buying in China ...

Sorry

No sorries mate. Just pointing out you might have forgotten the link... I've read it b4... bet you learnt online is the way to go :) I've purchased several very decent pieces from these street dealers but first, you must know your watch and be firm with price. Next speaking mandarin and even sometimes sounding like a local helps. (But if you sound too local, you will not be shown the trapdoor incase you're undercover - was told this by couple of dealers who thought i was an undercover haha) To escape, ask them to open the watch for inspection of mvmt, they'll either refuse, of which you can leave, or if they do (i never had one b4), proclaim its not swiss and promptly demand to exit.

Cheers