When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thoughts on this 1680 dial before starting project

Watchmeister

I have been assembling parts to build a 1680 franken. So far I have been able to pick up the parts to date very inexpensively. Before I plunk down real money to buy a movement I wanted to get folk's thought on the dial. It was cheaper than an NDT which makes me suspicious but I do love the way it looks.

Here are the overall project parts to date:

DSCN0245.jpg

And here is the dial -

DSCN0250.jpg

DSCN0244.jpg

DSCN0240.jpg

One last question - if the case set is a Yuki should I plan on doing case work or cg's or leave it alone?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Gen dial. I had one a lot like it.

Yuki case is not ideal for gen movement. CGs will need work too. A better case might be in order for a project of this caliber. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

What is the better case than the Yuki for the gen movement? The truth is I have picked up all the parts on the cheap so far and would like to keep it that way. The dial, case set and crystal cost me well under $600. The movement is going to cost $1,000. I still need to get hands and will likely use an aftermarket bracelet. I want to be into this one for less than $2k. So I would rather fix the Yuki than go out $600+ for something else.

The chapters generally get rubbed away when installing into the case. Since the movement fits into the case by rotating into place and securing with lock screws, the dial tends to sustain a slight bit of damage in the process (unless one were to take extra caution not to press the dial firmly against the rehaut when fitting, or if they used the half-headed/slot screws)...

IMG_4597.jpg

This is also a good picture to demonstrate the problem with the colored lume on most reps/frankens. Natural aging causes uneven, blotchy color with some areas becoming darker than others. Lume that is solid brown, tan or yellow rarely (to the point where I have never seen it happen) occurs naturally. For this reason, if given the choice, I think it is best to opt for off-white (non-glowing) lume on vintage watches.

What is the better case than the Yuki for the gen movement? The truth is I have picked up all the parts on the cheap so far and would like to keep it that way. The dial, case set and crystal cost me well under $600. The movement is going to cost $1,000. I still need to get hands and will likely use an aftermarket bracelet. I want to be into this one for less than $2k. So I would rather fix the Yuki than go out $600+ for something else.

Ah, then stick with the Yuki. Our friend up north can make it work. For < $2k with gen movement, you'll be getting one hell of a franken.