When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking for a CHS GMT movement

patinga

What options do I have on this other than a Gen 3185 movement? I have been looking online and have found the DG's and Miyota? I'm looking for something more reliable. I guess if I have to I can get one of Andy's 2893-2's.

Thoughts?

2893-2 doesn't have a correct hand stack. Unless you use your 12h hand as the 24h hand (and vice versa).

Yep, I know. It would be last resort option if I can't find anything else. At least it would be a solid reliable movement but I have put a lot of time and cash into creating this franken Exp II, I want it to be as close as possible.

Almost everyone who builds GMT's in the mid range watch lines use the 2893-2 as their base movement, so short of a Rolex movement, I don't know who would make one with the hand stack configuration of the Explorer.

Next question, is the 2893-2 even going to fit. It seems like quite a few folks who tried to transplant the 2893-2 into GMT IIC's ran into problems with the hands not clearing the dial indices.Is the Explorer similar case wise etc?

2893-2 will fit in noob GMT IIC. Here's my experiment on Redwatch's loaner 2893-2

IMG_7116.jpg

Left is a stock noob GMT IIC gut. Right is 2893-2. Notice the stem hole on the right is higher. If I fit the same dial spacer that comes with GMT IIC on the 2893, I'm sure the stem hole is about at the same distance from the dial. This takes care of the stem hole position.

Now the GMT hand is a tougher one to solve. Where do you get a green GMT 2893 hand? I got a red one from WSO990. The sleeve of the cannon pin hole is so short that there's no way it can be used if there's a dial. I don't know how they designed it. The sleeve needs to be tall, just like that of the noob GMT hand. Too bad the noob GMT hand's pin hole is so big (needs to be 1.80mm). The only way is to custom make a 2893-2 GMT hand and that's exactly what I'm doing. If I'm successful, I'll offer a bk 2893-2 equipped noob GMT IIC. I can also sell my custom GMT hand to those who want to do the transplant themselves.

-bk

Edited by bklm1234