When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What would you rather have

FxrAndy

Good question.

This is the new (gen) SuperOcean and I was very surprised to see the sloppy lume application. Check the '12, '9 and '6 markers. It's surprising because gen Fish XL and BCE have very high quality finish on the dials.

This is a $2000+ watch. :thumbdown:

IMG_0885.JPG

Good lord, that's terrible lume! Apparently they have had to cut back on spending and have consequently hired some teenagers high on energy drinks :thumbdown: Kidding of course :p

The Oris F1 Ronin mentioned sounds tasty!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I know that I would not be satisfied with a low end gen. I have a couple in my drawer that I do not use. I would opt for the super rep that accepts gen parts as, I would be able to add onto as I see fit and when I can afford it. With a low end gen, there is not much more mods you can carry out on it.

Also, there is more fun being able to add/ build your rep. This would add to the sentimental value.

Low end Gens have little appeal to me, pure snobbery I know, some Sekio's have a certain appeal genrally the simple divers and Datejust types, but most are to busy and fashiony, there are some high end Citizens out there hand made by a team of little Japanese artisans but they are Mucho $$$. There are certain hamiltons that seem quite good, but given the choice of spending $400 or so on a watch the Rep tends to win, Strange when you think about it

Were I to purchase a low-end gen, I think the decision would be based primarily on utilitarian reasons. Of course, I'd leave a little bit of room for style, which is why I'd lean toward, say, a Seiko or a Suunto, rather than a Timex or a Casio.

However, my watch purchases are dominated by emotional and, er, irrational reasons. High-end reps and frankens win out, since they deliver the historical designs I love within a limited budget.

That, and I'm an insecure poseur with a broken moral compass and no respect for intellectual properties!

Good question.

This is the new (gen) SuperOcean and I was very surprised to see the sloppy lume application. Check the '12, '9 and '6 markers. It's surprising because gen Fish XL and BCE have very high quality finish on the dials.

This is a $2000+ watch. :thumbdown:

IMG_0885.JPG

And to think I just sent an email to Vac asking if he could remove the lume and redo lume on my graham because it has little imperfections in the 1 of the 12 (lol) It is still how I got it. Hasn't been lumed or anything as far as I know.

4449827998_c236ee6264.jpg

4449051549_6f5e0f1dd7.jpg