When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling SOHC v2 HBB edition, any issues?

cougaree

When I grow up, I've been given advices from elderly about women. They say when evaluating a gal to be your mate, you have to look at her shortcomings more and don't get blinded by her strength.

I think this advice applies to watches we are going to buy... very well, especially our imperfect reps. As you all know, I've been crazy about Breitlings lately and having a few nice ones in my collection. Now, I would like to seriously looking into the HBB maker's version of SOHC.

Any thoughts on it? I don't see a whole lot of discussion on this watch on our board. From what I see on the dealer website, it certainly has the correct model stamped on the caseback. Anything on the rep bothers you somewhat?

Thanks!

I think your title is confusing people because it soounds like there's a Hublot Big Bang version of a Breitling! lol

But you are instead talking about the SOHC from the factory that makes the HBB?

I think that's the v2?

I can't remember for sure, you will have to wait for someone else to confirm.

I do know that the v2 is virtually perfect (bar sometimes slightly off lume dots) and that it appears to be out of production at the moment in brown and black.

Get the rep Ocean Racer rubber strap as it's spot on, the only issue is the clasp not closing as tightly as it should. The mesh is too big and the leather is... alright...

Also, order off Mary and get a swiss movement as the Asian ETA clone suffers difficulty setting the time and date (covered in a thread in the Breitling forum already), but it's not bad if you can't stretch to ther extra money. I have both and would go swiss in the future!

Member X, thanks for the reply and clarification!

Basically, I was talking about the first watch under Breitling superocean on Josh's website. You are probably right. It's the v2. I originally thought v2 was from the same factory as v1 and then there is the HBB version of SOHC.

If it's virtually perfect, does it mean the lugs are perfect also? I mean I've heard on the SOH v2, people say the lugs are longer and bent down more... something you can't really mod to fix.

I just found an old post, this was what Yodap said.

"There are 3 versions.

V1: lume dots at 15, 30, 45, 60 - bad datefont - low beat movement = crap, stay away

V2: much better, refined dial, but can be still spotted at the blobby , uncentered lume, and the A173XX caseback

V3: Dial AR application is near perfect, caseback corrected, awesome AR and OR strap = THE WAY TO GO! "

I wonder if v3 = HBB maker's SOHC

I thought the v2 lugs were pretty spot on but I can't remember where I read it now.

I also read that post from Yodap but AFAIK there are only two? (I've not read of a v3 anywhere else but that post!)

I would agree that the v2 I have has slightly off lume dots but it does also have stunning AR and the pretty much perfect OR strap. I'm confused by the A173XX caseback reference by Yodap, I thought that was correct?

I think it could be worth asking him to clarify where he heard there are 3 versions and what's wrong with the caseback reference...

I have the bronze version and it is near perfect enough that I have no desire to buy the gen. I will have to check that B placement... back to the AD with me, as if I have not spent enough time there burning images of the gens into my memory... The only thing that I have seen it that the date fills the window more on the rep than it does on the gen. As for the lugs, perfect as far as I can tell. I read somewhere that the rep lugs were too sharp and needed to be sanded down but the gen lugs are just as sharp.

Then ask Mary - she will tell you if she can get it before you order it or hand any money over ;)

I know the SOH non-chrono is apparently only available in Blue at the moment, but I'm not sure on the chrono version.