When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My New Comex

TJGladeRaider

Great watch, Bill! I'm rather fond of mine as well.

The 5514 was my first quality vintage watch. I almost fell of my chair when I opened the package. :D

Here is a shot of mine with a Ubinized insert. I recently intalled an OEM vintage insert and it looks superb. It's on my wrist as I type.

BTW, did you install an OEM crystal? Looks very, very nice!

119509-21906.jpg

Definitely not an MBW. You are going to need a chisel on those crown guards (I saw in your earlier thread that you have dremel and swiss files coming). Do these non-MBW's fit genuine parts easily?

This is something I got from Andrew. Since he knew I wanted some vintage subs to practice on (I bought a whole bunch), he sent me these to play with.

I think he and Joshua are going to produce a "Perfect" vintage series, and I suspect that this is just part of the prototype from what they told me. I don't think they actually have these for sale yet, as I think they are going for completely mod vintage watches with real parts, but you would have to ask them what they are up to.

If these guys sell full mod vintage watches, with real parts, that will be quite an event. I know this, the bezel insert is lots better than I am getting on my MBWs.

Bill

I think he and Joshua are going to produce a "Perfect" vintage series, and I suspect that this is just part of the prototype from what they told me. I don't think they actually have these for sale yet, as I think they are going for completely mod vintage watches with real parts, but you would have to ask them what they are up to.

That is good news!

Very nice Comex...can't wait for the finished product.

That is good news!

Very nice Comex...can't wait for the finished product.

If they follow thru, I think there would be a lot of interest in watches that COME with crystals, inserts, CGs and springbars done - much the same way Joshua did in offering watches with a service package.

Color me lazy, but unlike so many of you guys do all these mods because the mods themselves are a hobby, collecting the watches is my hobby, so if someone can sell me the watch with ther mods already done, I'm going to go for that.

I really like the way this COMEX looks, and the bezel turns very nice - unlike so many out there. Fix the CGs and install the bigger spring bars and serve it up with a rivet bracelet . . . I'm satisfied.

Bill

Be forewarned on the Comex's that they are the most difficult to get right. The trickiest part is the case back for all versions. All the existing Comex casebacks are crap compared to the gen so if you are trying to get it aesthetically correct you are going to be doing some heavy engraving. Also on the SD's (if you go that route) the MBW dials are off on the alignment of Certified and Chronometer. For both of those reasons I am converting mine into a White letter SD and zapping the COMEX off the back. The other issue is that nobody actually wear's gen Comex and yet I am surprised at the number of people who know what it is and how rare it is. :)