When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO 45mm Repair

Viennawatch

Greetings folk...

Hope all is well with you all! Once again I have been absent! I just can't keep up the habit of coming in so often! Oh well...

A sad thing happened to me today, very sad indeed....

While doing some repairs to a PC at work, the clasp of my UPO got stuck on a corner and flew off, smashing to the ground... A few markers have popped out, the crown/tube is a bit loose.... the watch still seems to be working, but well you never know what else is loose in there.

So I have been thinking, perhaps if I send it off to get repairs, I might as well get a few mods on it as well

I've spent a few good hours browsing through the forum, obviously not enough...

My question to you guys, is The Zigmeister really the only one we have to do repairs and mods? I still have his price list from two years back, but to be perfectly honest, he is quite pricy... Ya I know he does quality work, without a doubt, but ummm sob sob... lol...

From my understanding not only does he charge for certain services, but also charges 50 USD per hour? Labor and repair costs... Woah... So if he took 6 hours, that would alone cost 300 USD!!!! Umm maybe I misunderstood the labor cost part.

Erm....

Maybe I have an old price list...

Has anyone sent his/her UPO 45mm to The Zigmeister for original bezel (or better version Bezel), original crown and tube replacement, super lume, as well as movement service and how much you paid approximately?

Would be great to get an estimation... Based on that I could just ditch the entire idea... try to get the watch repaired at some local watch service shop in DXB or dump it and get a brand spanking new rep... I know i said I would probably not buy a new rep, but after seeing the new Rolex GMT Master 2 Green hand, ceramic bezel.. I nearly started drooling....

Your opinions and experience would be very much appreciate...

I may be an oldtimer in terms of my membership activation date, but I know diddly squat! :/

But I wouldn't blame any of you guys, if you told me to shut up and do the research myself! :p

Regards,

VW

Ouch..

You can choose to pay a fraction of what you wildly suggested The Zigmeister charges, send it to some local watchsmith and have them screw it up worse.. then finally coming back to someone who knows his stuff... First its a rep, gd luck with finding anyone who will svc it for ya, next perhaps you should have PMed The Zigmeister and asked if he could give an estimate of the costs first before shooting your mouth off here... Not a reprimand, just a suggestion.

And oh yah, good luck with finding someone

Well firstly thanks for your replies...

But I honestly think you two totally blew up my post.

I was not trying to be misleading, harsh nor was i trying to post false comments... For any misunderstanding I apologize. I did not mean to offend.

I did not mean to give the wrong impression either... I never stated that you have done any work for me and I CONFIRM that I never have, but I made an inquiry a long time ago. I will gladly post the PMs I had with you if you are in doubt.

My post was mainly full of questions, to which I obviously do not know the answers to.

I have an old price list, or at least i think it is old as I received it from Jennifer 2 to 3 years ago.

I did not PM you personally now because I read somewhere you were out for the summer and I was looking for somewhat of a quicker answer. I guess I misread the post about you being out.

In regards to the labor costs, I wasn't trying to really suggest anything, its obvious I did not understand that part in your pricing list.

Hence the, "Umm maybe I misunderstood the labor cost part."

I also admitted to the fact that you do a quality job and surely your work is well worth the price and this has been proven by many people on the post from where I derived this statement from.

And when I was referring to if there is anyone else available.. I meant on the forum that you guys have worked with. I have found someone now who does work in the EU, which is most suitable for me... thank you very much.

IN NO way was I comparing you with some local watch smith... I meant if I could not afford you, I would either dump my watch or just give it a shot at some local watch smith to see what he can do and getg a new rep instead...

I personally do not see why one should get offended by the fact that I feel they are expensive. Its clearly a matter of opinion. Someone may feel you have cheap services, some moderate and others may feel you are pricey! I just can't afford you Zigmeister.. Its nothing personal.

And once again... I really think you two totally blew up my post.... Ok i should have spent a little more time on it so that people would avoid misunderstanding me...

Really I am totally sorry and in reflection, yes I should have PMed you for clarification, but like I said, I thought you were gone for the summer and I was in sort of a rush. Now look what that got me! Pffft.. Sorry :(

Hope you all can forgive me. I am not an ass...

Cheers

Edited by Viennawatch

IMHO, comments or queries shielded by disclaimers or used with implied doubt do still affect the person intended. I liken it to telling someone his watch in a FS thread is a canal crap but that's just my humble opinion and should be taken lightly.

Left for the board to decide. Member has found his answer so leave to rest shall we?

Yes I've heard about domenico, never had anything done by him though. I also heard Domenico doesn't speak any english so you have to get your emails translated into german by someone on the forum (at least i think that's what i heard). Francisco is the only modder i know that charges less than 100usd for a full service. He's also one of the most creative watch-makers I know. I have another watch-maker here in Madrid that's also very good but charges 150euros for a full service on a Asian7750. I use both francisco and my other guy, at least we're not paying 400-500 bucks for authorized dealers to service our watches like the gen owners!!

Yes I've heard about domenico, never had anything done by him though. I also heard Domenico doesn't speak any english so you have to get your emails translated into german by someone on the forum (at least i think that's what i heard). Francisco is the only modder i know that charges less than 100usd for a full service. He's also one of the most creative watch-makers I know. I have another watch-maker here in Madrid that's also very good but charges 150euros for a full service on a Asian7750. I use both francisco and my other guy, at least we're not paying 400-500 bucks for authorized dealers to service our watches like the gen owners!!

Ahh good to know! Yes I will definitely get in touch with Francisco to see what he can do for me! First I have to source the parts for my UPO!

Thanks again!

Im not 100% sure but I do believe you said "goodbye" this forum several months back. I think you were only going to purchase gens from now on. I do remember feeling somewhat Insulted, "Hello and farewell" I think this was the title of the thread. :rolleyes: If I have the wrong person, please forgive me. But that puking pumpkin does look familiar. :g: If that was Indeed you, welcome back. I have a guy that can do minor work on my reps but I would only trust Zig or Fransisco with the movements, servicing, adjustments, etc. Most watchsmiths/repair people wont know what to do with a A7750 let alone a Valjoux. Im just using this as a example. If It were me I would proably just a get a new rep. When all Is said and done It will most likely be more cost effective. Good luck on whatever your decision. :) Mike

Hahaha yes that is me, you are right! Generally my attitude towards reps has died down since the old RWG days...

And I probably would have not considered a new rep, had my UPO not gone on a date with the marble floor. So I am trying to compensate for the loss! :p

I am trying to put together a list of all the spare parts I will need to order and parts I would like to add, (Genuine vs Generic) and if I EVEN manage that.. Then I will run it by Domenico and see what the total damage would be... Should it be too expensive for me, then i will just go for a new rep and perhaps auction this one for spare parts with all the winnings going to RWG.

Regarding Zigmeister.. I dont think he will be willing to take my business anymore.... So I'll let that be.

Anyways it was nice to hear from you Maxman!

Hey no problem, I have also thought about not buying reps anymore. But who am I kidding, I love this hobby and this community. :thumbsupsmileyanim: I have also been pretty lucky with my reps. Except for a few minor Issues they are all running well, cant ask for more than that. I think It's a good Idea to look at the bottom line far as fixin or replacing your PO. Hope you stick around. Zig Is a nice guy, maybe a nice sincere private message to him will make things right, good luck and keep us posted. :drinks: Mike

Hey no problem, I have also thought about not buying reps anymore. But who am I kidding, I love this hobby and this community. :thumbsupsmileyanim: I have also been pretty lucky with my reps. Except for a few minor Issues they are all running well, cant ask for more than that. I think It's a good Idea to look at the bottom line far as fixin or replacing your PO. Hope you stick around. Zig Is a nice guy, maybe a nice sincere private message to him will make things right, good luck and keep us posted. :drinks: Mike

You know I am surprised that I have been able to last this long since I have last bought a rep... That was um, 2 to 3 years ago! Pretty long compared to some members here if you ask me! The mistake I made was buy too many too fast and then let them go bad too fast... So now I have a bunch of reps that all have a problem. Most being with the crown and threading being worn out. This is one thing I have always been paranoid about, but I guess you can't avoid. Luckily my gen Oris and Speedmaster don't have crowns which need to be screwed in!

Unfortunately The Zigmeister's PM is switched off, but I hope he will accept my apology on this post! So The Zigmeister, again... I am very sorry for making you feel that way. I hope you can forgive me!

I think I will start with the easiest repair.. My PAM 183... I have already started a topic in the PAM section on where I can find a genuine or generic crown and tube..

Regards,

Martin

You know I am surprised that I have been able to last this long since I have last bought a rep... That was um, 2 to 3 years ago! Pretty long compared to some members here if you ask me! The mistake I made was buy too many too fast and then let them go bad too fast... So now I have a bunch of reps that all have a problem. Most being with the crown and threading being worn out. This is one thing I have always been paranoid about, but I guess you can't avoid. Luckily my gen Oris and Speedmaster don't have crowns which need to be screwed in!

Unfortunately The Zigmeister's PM is switched off, but I hope he will accept my apology on this post! So The Zigmeister, again... I am very sorry for making you feel that way. I hope you can forgive me!

I think I will start with the easiest repair.. My PAM 183... I have already started a topic in the PAM section on where I can find a genuine or generic crown and tube..

Regards,

Martin

Indeed the crowns striping are a problem with many of are reps. But most of the time(most) these Issues can rectified pretty easily. Thre are several "how to's" from the Zig and Francisco. My good friend Is trying to fix my Raymond Weil Nabucco crown. It's all a part of the game I guess. :pardon: Good luck :) Mike