When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PT1680 Crystal Retention Ring Changes

jmb

Just got in a new PT1680 watch from a Forum Bro. to do a crystal swap and a couple other things. I knew it was coming so I had made up a retention ring beforehand and boy was I surprised when I popped the bezel off and found the retention ring was totally different than the previous ones! The only thing that is the same is the plastic/nylon spacer between the ring and crystal. The new one will actually be simpler to machine in that there is no vertical "lip" or multiple angles on the upper surface. It seems that without the "lip" to centralize the bezel there is not as precise a feel and there is not as much area contacting the crystal. I guess the only thing about these rep factories is that everything is always in a state of flux!

'State of flux' pretty accurately describes the chinese watch industry, JB! Sometimes things improve for the better and sometimes they don't. As close as those 1665's and 1680's are to being right on, it's a shame they can't get them right. If they did it right, it couldn't cost them $5 more!