When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Broken Rlx Sub Watch... anyone know a good repairperson in California?

KenD

The hands and one of the dial markers fell off when the watch was kept in a winder.

Seems the vibration was too much for whatever glue was holding everything on.

I have no experience fixing watches - need some help?

--Ken

It's a 2006 model with an brass ETA movement inside. It came from Andrew. Seems to be functional except I have no idea how to put the hands and the markers back on.

all of the hands and a marker fell off? How old is the watch and who did it come from?

Just take it to a watchmaker or jewlery repair shop in the mall, etc. That shouldn't be hard to fix.

I followed "Edge's" guide and was able to get the hands back on. The watch works now.

It turns out that the markers (6 and 9) themselves didn't fall off the dial, the lume material that is in the markers fell off and was rattling around in there - which was making the watch stop.

So I removed the pieces of luminous material, and put it back together. It seems to be running fine now.

How do you replace the lume material?

--Ken

they were little sticker sortve things? tell me you didnt disgard them. :whistling: If you kept them, you can just paste them back on the indices they fell out of. Everyone will have their opinions on glue, a tiny dot of elmers will work just fine. Make sure you paste it right side up (match the texture to the other ones on the dial). If you've lost them, then your looking at a dial replacement or relume, unless you can find someone here with an extra endice they can send you. I can check to be sure, but I just got rid of all of the spare Rlx sport dials I had laying around or i'd volunteer one for you.

I kept the little pieces of lume that fell out of the markers.

I'm going to try to reattach them with a tiny bit of model glue and see if that works.

The markers themselves that fell off still have the lume attached to them - but there are a couple markers that don't have lume in them anymore because it fell out.

The watch works though - so that's a good thing.

P.S. - How do I know if I got the second hand on in the right spot?

on an auto it does not matter at what point you fitted the seconds hand as long as it clears the others and they were lined up with the date change at 12 midnight, on a quartz it is a pain trying to get it to line up with every second mark or a chrono getting it to line up with 12 perfectly

OK - so I stop the movement using the hack function at 12 midnight (date should change), make sure all the hands align, and press on the second hand facing the 12 O'clock marker. Got it.

Thanks.

--Ken

on an auto it does not matter at what point you fitted the seconds hand as long as it clears the others and they were lined up with the date change at 12 midnight, on a quartz it is a pain trying to get it to line up with every second mark or a chrono getting it to line up with 12 perfectly

I wind the watch forward with no hands fitted, until the date changes, (a few times to get the feel of just before it clicks over then when i have the date just about to click over i fit the hour hand at 12, i then repeat and fit the min hand and refit until i get it as close as possible to 12:00 midnight, then i fit the seconds hand where ever, I have never had a mechanical watch where the date changed at 12:00:00 not even my gen IWC/omega's/others. So i don't dwell on the seconds hand.