When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need some help getting my rep repaired..

wizardusa

hey guys, since Facebook accounts were having problems, I made a regular account here and posting it with this id.. hope you guys don't mind...

but anyway, I purchased a rep. explorer I from trustywatchguy sometime ago, yesterday, i noticed there was a rattle.. I stopped using it. Weird thing is, the watch still works... anyway, I want to get this repaired, and I want to know if anyone can recommend me anyone here in the US...

oh btw, this is the ETA 2836 version I think. *I know it's not a asia movement.

I also would like to service this watch for:

1. I noticed some moisture when I accidently put it in hot water, so new O ring, drying it, etc

2. cleaning the internals, lubing it.

3. Regulating it.

4. re-illumination

I don't need all of it, but I need at least, #1 and #2 done, #3 would be very nice, #4 is just something extra.

oh, a price estimation/overlook would be nice if anyone can provide that. thanks

I also think this watch has a problem of not winding manually since day 1. I'm not sure if i'm doing it wrong or something... I'm fairly sure I unscrew the crown, then pull it 1/2 way then wind it, because 2/2 way is adjusting the time...

any help would be nice. oh, I don't plan on reparing this myself... don't have that kind of patience or steady hands

Depending on where you are located, you may be able to find a local watchmaker who will work on reps. DON"T take it to a big jewelry/watch shop or one that is an authorized Rolex,Omega,etc. dealer. I'm sure every city of any size has guys who would be willing to work on reps especially ones with ETA movements.

One of the problems facing watchmakers today is most of them, even ones that are well trained, are mostly sitting around and changing batteries in Quartz watches. I had an interesting experience with a local fellow a few months ago. Guy is probably in his late 50's, took over his fathers watch repair business in a small poor community in central Louisiana, very close to the town where I live. I called him and asked if he could change the battery in my genuine Omega X-33.No problem, all I needed was the number for the battery. Got that, he got the battery, called me a couple of days later and I took my watch over. His place looked completely deserted except for his work area and a few display cases with mostly junk stuff inside. On the back wall was his framed certificate from Omega, he was certified by Omega, went to their schools, all this back in the 70's. He took about 3 minutes to get the back off,change the battery, put it back together and charged me 10 bucks! We started talking, and he was lamenting the demise of mechanical watches. He told me that practically everyone around there wore "throw away"quartz watches from WalMart. I asked him if he had any feelings about working on high quality replicas with Swiss ETA movements, should any of mine need work. His answer was if it's mechanical, I'll work on it. now of course, he doesn't do re-lumes, case shaping, etc. but if it's related to the movement, He told me that he would be glad to have something mechanical to work on.

The point of my story is this, there are lots of good watchmakers out there, especially older ones, who don't have much business and if approached right, they would be glad for the work. Now, I wouldn't let most of them restore a vintage Rolex 1680 (genuine) but for routine work, they would be just fine.

I also think this watch has a problem of not winding manually since day 1. I'm not sure if i'm doing it wrong or something... I'm fairly sure I unscrew the crown, then pull it 1/2 way then wind it, because 2/2 way is adjusting the time...

Pulling the crown to the first stop is for changing the date-wheel, the second stop is for changing the time. All you need to do to handwind is unscrew the crown till it 'pops' off the tube, then gently wind the crown away from you a few times, then push it back to screw back onto the tube :)

Explorer I doesn't have the date wheel though... oh wow ok, i did that it worked! lol thanks, at least i dont have to get that fixed.

Correction, the dial does not have a date window, but I'm sure the movement being used, will still have a datewheel ;) If it's quiet enough, and you listen carefully, when the hands pass midnight (or noon, depending on how you set the watch) you should be able to hear the muted flik of the datewheel rolling onto the next day :victory: